Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have PCOS?? Please help!!
frustrated47 posted:
I'm extremely frustrated so I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions?

I've had irregular bleeding on and off throughout my life. When I reached the age of 13 I started my monthly cycle which was very irregular. It was either very heavy and lasted longer than 7 days with terrible cramps and back cramps or no period for a few months. By the time I was 19 I started taking a generic of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and things became regular for a few years. From 22 to about 25 years old I had bleeding and spotting almost every day with maybe a week or two week break. In that time I was checked for anemia, thyroid imbalance, std's, etc. I had several pap smears, two sonograms, and an endometrial biopsy (which showed a low hormone count and my endometrium was on the thinner side). I was also put on just about every oral contraceptive on the market as well as the nuva ring, and the depo shot. I had seen several doctors who could not come up with an explanation and said all my tests came back healthy (except the low hormone count in the biopsy). After changing health insurance providers with changing careers I could not see the last doctor I was working with to diagnose the problems. Since then I've gone completely off all hormone contraceptives and have been more regular for the past year. In the last 6 months I've been having major acne problems and bumps all over my face and body (which I never had growing up). Now in the past 3 months my periods are getting longer then 7 days again and a little more irregular. The last doctor/gyno I was seeing before the insurance change was wondering if I could possibly have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, although I am not overweight, my two sonograms showed up perfectly clear and healthy. For as long as I can remember my hair falls out like crazy but never gets any thinner. I used to get tired a lot as well but that has gotten better since I've been prescribed to a low dose of an adderall generic. She wasn't able to run any tests before my insurance changed and now it's very expensive to see her. Should I look into seeing an endocrinologist or just try to find another gyno? The first two gynos I was seeing never seemed to want to try and diagnose or fix the problem, they both just kept running the same tests and switching me onto different birth controls. I am extremely frustrated and would love to get some feedback. I am 26 now, 5'1'', and 104lbs. My weight hasn't usually fluctuated more than 10 pounds in the past 4 years. Any ideas?

-Carly

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.