Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hysterectomy and weight gain/loss
An_251213 posted:
My girlfriend is 33yrs of age and has had 4 c-sections, gall bladder surgery, left tubal abdominal partial hysterectomy, and then later a full abdominal hysterectomy. She is worried about her weight gain and is starting to feel the effects in the form of depression. She is considering the use of abdominal wraps. My question is, "Can these wraps be more harmful for her with all the surgical procedures she has had to endure?"

Take the Poll

Can abdominal weight-loss wraps be more harmful for a 33 yrs of age woman who has had 4 c-sections, gall bladder surgery, left tubal abdominal partial hysterectomy, and then later a full abdominal hysterectomy?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Possibly
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_475 responded:
Ths kind of thing is not going to make her lose weight (hte weight you lose is water that you sweat off and you regain it as soon as you drink). If she wants to lose weight she needs to change her eating habits and become more active. Given that she is prone to depression she's going to need support. I suggest she gets in touch with her local branch of Weightwatchers and gets the help she needs. There is no point wasting money on fad gadgets that do not work.

Quick fix effortless fads never work or there would be nobody overweight left on the planet. Lifestyle changes can change things radically.

Anon_475 replied to Anon_475's response:
Here's more information:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/135850-the-dangers-wrapping-your-stomach-with-plastic-wrap/

georgiagail replied to Anon_475's response:
I agree with this. Any benefits from these wraps is very temporary.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
No sense wasting money and buying into the false hope of this gimmick. Weight gain can certainly contribute to depression but the loss of hormones after hysterectomy can trigger depression. I know from experience and I never suffered from depression until my organs were removed. I was lucky enough not to gain weight though. I needed a "strong" prescription of estrogen to bring me out of this suicidal depression. It also helped ease many of the other symptoms caused by the surgery.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.