Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight gain: medicine or something else?
monimed posted:
Following a bad injury last year, I finally found my salvation: amotriptyline. It works great to control my pain, but I gained more than 30 lbs over a few months and I'm only 5'3". I can't recognize myself, and I'm in deep depression over this. I only take 15 mg a day, which is very little compared to what people take for depression or other reasons. Yet I can't lose the weight. I started taking the pill last August and most of the weight gain happened about 3 months ago. I know this drug leads to weight gain, but it seems too extreme. Could it be something else? I checked my thyroid in the past (within the last year, too) and it was normal (low but normal). Could it have changed? I'm on continuous birth control pills (for hormonal reasons), so I don't even know if I'm in menopause or not. It's probably the medicine, but I'm pulling at straws. The doctor says I'll always be like this and I can't accept it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

newgirl2010 responded:
I am sorry about your struggles right now. I have heard that amitripyline is notorious for weight gain. I personally went off it (only on it for a month) for fear of weight gain. I am curious to hear and hopeful an expert will respond to your questions.

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.