Skip to content
Jane/Gail help me decide the best birth control pill
newgirl2010 posted:
I am currently on orthotricyclen lo. I have been on it for years. It seems to work fine. HOWEVER, it costs about $100 per month. Apparently there was (but is no longer) a generic equivalent. I was thinking about asking my doctor (gyno) for a script for orthotricyclen (drop the lo). Those are about $15 a month. What benefit does the "lo" really give me? What changes can I expect? Thanks!

newgirl2010 responded:
Just bumping this post in hopes someone will respond. thanks for your time.

georgiagail replied to newgirl2010's response:
A good article that discusses the difference between the two. The orthotricyclen-lo has a slightly lower amount of estrogen (.03 mgs versus .04 mgs for the orthotricyclen) which supposedly reduces some side effects seen in the higher dosage.

The orthotricyclen has been around long enough that the patent on it has now expired which is why you have several versions of this and a lower price than the orthotricyclen-lo which is still under patent to one company.

http://birth-control-pills.findthebest.com/compare/74-75-77/Ortho-Tri-Cyclen-vs-Ortho-Tri-Cyclen-Lo

Gail

newgirl2010 replied to georgiagail's response:
wow...i guess the "lo" does have far fewer side effects. i guess i will fork over the big bucks for no bloating and a sex drive. thanks for the link.

georgiagail replied to newgirl2010's response:
I'm not sure if the relatively small difference in the amount of estrogen means all that much; there would be no way of knowing how it would affect you unless you tried it. Many women are on the "generic" version of this birth control and do well on it.

Gail

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.