Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
clotting/pain
An_251243 posted:
I went to my doctor about 9 months ago and complained about passing clots in my period. I was assured that this was completely normal. Recently it's getting worse. This time I passed four golf ball sized chunks in one day, and have moderate pelvic pain. My insurance won't cover another well visit for another couple of months. Is this serious???? Do I need to go in and pay for this myself????

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Pain usually means something is wrong and needs to be checked out. I wouldn't consider this a well visit so it's possible you'll just have to pay a co-pay.

CherylWarren responded:
Your visit should not be considered a well visit if you are in pain and going for a diagnostic reason. Call your insurance company and discuss this with them in order to know what is and is not covered, and then make sure the doctor bills it this way so you have no claim problems. I recently had this issue and went to the doctor to discover I had anemia. You really should go in and be seen!

janincrestline responded:
You need a second opinion and/or the opinion of a gynecologist. Same thing happened to me a few years ago. My doctor told me it was normal. I talked to people at work and one lady had the same thing and she eventually passed grapefruit size clots and had to have surgery to correct it, so I called her gynecologist (we were with same HMO). Her problem was not cancerous, but by the time I got to gynecologist I was passing almost grapefruit size clots and learned I had stage 4 uterine cancer. Had a complete hysterectomy, was monitored closely for 5 years and now have 12 years free of any problems.

Northern_Neighbour responded:
My ex-wife had a similar problem back in 1983. It usually has 4 possible causes. In her case it was a condition called menorrhagia, aka women's banker's disease. The problem here is that the women is normally in a prolonged high stress situation (at work for instance), not eating properly, not supplementing and not exercising. Eventually her cycle goes out of balance and she stops ovulating, which means that she also then is not producing any progesterone (this is produced at the site of the ovary where the ovum explodes out of called the corupus luteum). This allows the estroggen to continue doing what it is programmed to do, lay down a lining in the uterus and when not stopped by the progesterone the lining then becomes quite thick. When the women has her period, it comes out in lumps and clumps with a lot of blood loss. As an immediate fix, she needs to take a progesterone/birth control pill to stop the estrogen from building up the lining too thick. Then she should start exercising reguarly (aerobic exercises are best) to burn off the stress chemicals her body is producing and taking a good supplementation program with special emphasis on the B-complex vitamens and iron. The main thing to understand here is there is nothing wrong with the uterus and ovaries and this problem can be easily corrected by the means I have pointed out above. Do not allow the doctor to direct you into a hysterectomy.
The second possible cause of painful periods with clumping and haevy blood loss is uterine fibroids. To get rid of the fibroids and keep the uterus, there is a procedure called embolization, which is currently favoured by doctors and their patients. The problem the women may have is not all doctors know how to do this procedure and would try to direct the women into a unneeded hysterectomy. To see exactly what women experience after a hysterectomy please go to www.hersfoundation.org. There are so many negatives that women experience after a hysterectomy that you can be sure the doctor who is pushing the operation (which will make him/her a lot of money) will not tell you.
A third possible cause is endometreosis. In his book, Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld's 2005 Breakthrough Health, he outlines the latest ways of treating this condition. It is also dealt with on the HERS website.
Lastly there is the possiblity of uterine cancer. Again refer to the above mentioned book and website for alternate treatments to a hysterectomy. As one female gynecologist noted, one of the most common side affects of hysterectomy is divorce. That was my experience when a doctor here took out what even he admitted was a perfectly healthy uterus.

georgiagail replied to Northern_Neighbour's response:
Oh for heavens sake! The LAST thing we need here is some guy telling women to look at alternatives to a hysterectomy for a diagnosis of uterine cancer.

One of the most common side effects of a hysterectomy is NOT a divorce. And frankly, many of the women who post on the hersfoundation are just plain nuts.

It's been way over a decade since I had my hysterectomy (at age 47) and, as I've said many times, I don't miss that puppy one bit. I've had NONE of the problems the hersfoundations claims all women must undergo after this surgery.

Gail

Anon_6061 replied to Northern_Neighbour's response:
Thank you for posting, Northern_Neighbour...all very good points. I too had healthy organs unnecessarily removed. Every aspect of my life has been negatively impacted including my relationships with family members. I also aged overnight and my hair has never stopped falling out. Others can judge all they want but that's my reality and I surely wouldn't make this up.

I personally know a number of women whose romantic relationships ended after hysterectomy because they lost all desire and feelings of intimacy. Some even became suicidal with no prior history of depression.

I'm sorry that your marriage ended as a result of your wife's hysterectomy. I know how it feels to lose that closeness. I mourn that loss (and many others) every day.

Something you said reminded me of a show a few years back. They talked about a uterus transplant on Dr. Phil and he asked the gynecologist how they happened to have a healthy uterus. She said there was nothing wrong with the uterus. It was a hormonal imbalance that caused it to be removed. And yes, too often all that's needed is to fix the hormonal imbalance. Or if it's a structural problem such as fibroids, remove the fibroids just as they do lumpectomies on the breast or remove a growth from the arm versus amputating the arm.

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.