Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Missed birth control pills due to doctor's advice
An_251248 posted:
Hi,
I have a concern. I asked my gynecologist if there was a way to skip my period so that I could go on a beach trip with my boyfriend. She told me to skip the third week of my 28 pill pack and resume taking my skipped (active) pills for the fourth week (instead of the sugar pills which were taken in the third week). Then she told me to start my new pack right after the completion of that pack. Not thinking about it, my boyfriend and I didn't use any protection (only the pull out method) the day before I started taking the fourth week (supposed to be the third week) of active pills. Once I began to take the rest of the pills in the pack that Sunday, we continued to have unprotected sex (pull out method) for the rest of the week except for the fifth day-he did not pull out. Am I at a greater risk of pregnancy having flip flopped the third and fourth week of pills? I'm not sure why my doctor would have given me this advice if that's the case, but I didn't think to question her at the time.
How long after this unprotected sex should I take a pregnancy test?
Thank you for your help.
BTW I've been on birth control for 8 years, and I'm 32 years old.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You did not have unprotected sex since you are on the pill. The pill protects you all month so as long as you didn't skip any pills, I'd say the chances of pregnancy are almost zero.

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.