Skip to content
Early Menopause?
An_251270 posted:
I'm 26 years old and it's been just over 6 weeks since my last period. I have 3 children already. I did take a pregnancy test last week and it was negative. Since I stopped taking birth control in July my periods have been 5 weeks, then 7 weeks, and 5 weeks again. According to that schedule I should be on the 5 weeks, but like I said, I have yet to start. Any idea what's going on? Some other symptoms I have had are mild fevers, night sweats, migraines, and exhaustion.

georgiagail responded:
It is highly unlikely that, at age 26, you are entering menopause. You may simply have skipped ovulation this month or your menstrual schedule may still be a bit "loopy" after stopping birth control.

When I was still menstruating, my schedule was NEVER regular except when I was on birth control pills since they controlled when I bled and not my own body. This was normal for me my entire reproductive lifetime.

I suspect taking care of three little ones is part of your exhaustion (and maybe those headaches!).

Gail

mysticalchic responded:
it IS possible to be perimenopause which can last for up to eight years. i know this as i read up on it recently. otherwise you wouldn't be having night sweats. i also ready menopause can happen anytime from your 20's to 60's. average age is 51. or you may have a loopy hormone system that may last for years and years like that too. best to see your gyn for a blood test.

Anon_6061 responded:
Since you're also having fevers, it sounds like a low grade infection. And illness can cause menstrual cycle changes.

stent responded:
after I had my second child. I had some of these symptoms.
I was also having joint pain. I went to a Rheumatologist and he told me I might have lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis . It has later turned out hat I have arthritis with shogrens disease. But it sound like either an infection or the other.

kmpayne responded:
You should go to your doctor and have them do a blood test. Fever would likely mean an infection. But I had the same symptoms (migraines, night sweats, exhaustion) and they went on for months, I would skip periods, and my fatigue continued to get worse. We I couldn't hold my hands over my head any more, we figured out that my red blood cell count was almost non-existent, but because it happened over a very long period of time, I was adapting to the exhaustion. Make sure that your blood count and iron levels are where they should be.

mcemy responded:
Does anyone in your family take synthroid, have a goiter or thyroid problems?

I experienced similar issues in my 20's - they went away and would come back periodically then became really bad in my 40's. Apparently, auto immune thyroid (Hashimoto's) is genetically dominate gene which can mimick menopausal symptoms.

It is a remitting and relapsing disease. So it comes and goes. Have a full thyroid panel that specifically tests for auto antibodies (anti-TPO). Make sure you have it when your experiencing symptoms! Otherwise, it won't show up. Your TSH should be between 3 and .3 ( NOT 5 and .5, that's old). Progressive endocrynologists have found that by simply taking 5mg of synthroid can eliminate the chance of full board hypothyroid.

Beware, many GP's won't even bother treating it until your thyroid completely fails. Which means good luck for the next 20 years. Avoid them.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000371.htm

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.