Skip to content
MRI test vs Contrast MRI
An_251304 posted:
I've had 3 MRI's on my brain in my lifetime. The first time they said I had polyps in my sinus. The second was a contrast MRI because my eyesight is ultra sensitive to light. The MRI came up I had 8 mini strokes. The third was a regular MRI and came up 8 polyps. Which ones should I believe. I don't know what kind of doctor sinus or cardio. Can you tell me the difference and which ones are more accurate?

georgiagail responded:
An MRI done with contrast is typically used to check brain function;it would check for things like tumors or (as in your case) a history of stroke or clots. Without contrast could check for issues such as those nasal polyps.

And ENT physician would likely be the one to address the polyps; a Neurologist the issue of possible mini strokes (or TIA's)

Gail

Sonrae125 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for responding. I just want to make sure what you said is correct. Why didn't the MRI when I had heart problems show the mini strokes. The heart doctor recommended it. The eye doctor ordered the contrast. Do you mean then I had both?
The neurologist did an ambulatory eeg and another to check my synapse reaction time. He just said my reaction time is getting slower than normal. Now my gp is ordering a sleep study to find out if I have sleep apnea. All I know is I have to sleep and my head gets a natural high and my short term memory is going. The neurologist says to check out schizophrenia. I know I was diagnosed with narcolepsy but why wouldn't that show up with the ambulatory eeg. I wish

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.