Skip to content
Missed period, pregnancy syptoms but negative at-home tests?
kmgraffeo posted:
I have been taking Beyaz for right around 2 years, and have continued to get my period during the placebo pills (although I will admit, some months I have been known to skip them and start right onto a new pack - even then, I almost always get at least a short period of bleeding). About 6 weeks ago (mid-February), I was sick and forgot to take the pill for 2 consecutive days, taking two on the day I remembered and then continuing to take 1 each day following. The pills I missed were in the middle of the third week of active pills. I took a Plan-B pill just in case, and recall a light period which was earlier than usual (I attributed this to the morning after pill, this period came around the end of February).

I continued taking the Beyaz, but at the end of March, my period did not come with the placebo's. I had no period, but had been feeling like my breasts were larger (I mentioned this to my fiance before I even missed the period), I have been VERY exhausted, dizzy, and incredibly moody. When I began the next pack 3 days ago, I had light spotting about 12 hours later - but not normal spotting, it really is only noticeable when I wipe after urinating, and is very dark and...mucus-y? That's the only way I can explain it, like, a clot. I have cramping in my lower abdomen which does not feel like usual, pain in my back, a lot of bloating and I have begun feeling nauseous. I have also started developing malasma(sp?), where the skin on my upper lip has begun darkening, which I understand could be a result of higher estrogen levels and not using sunscreen.

I have had scares before, but this feels different, something is happening, so I went and got at-home pregnancy tests. I took the first 2 during my missed period, both negative, and then another yesterday which was also negative. I do not have an appointment with a doctor for another 10 days, so I bought a few more tests I will continue to take.

MY QUESTIONS ARE, could/should I stop taking my birth control and see if my period comes (my fiance and I could abstain until I begin taking it normally again)? Is it possible the human growth hormone hasn't built up enough to detect? I truly feel pregnant, I have a real phobia of needles (haven't had a shot or blood drawn in 10 years) but am willing to have blood drawn because I feel so sure, and I am worried about harming the possible fetus by continuing birth control.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
It's possible your symptoms are caused by Plan B although it has been a while since you took it. Don't stop taking your pills unless you get a positive pregnancy test or your cycle will be even more messed up. Birth control will not harm a baby if there is one.

Helpful Tips

Keep Searching
Joanna, I just wanted to add my own experience of endometriosis. My period began about 2 months before my 16th birthday - yes very late. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.