Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just curious--HSV question
Anon_4527 posted:
I was just wondering why HSV testing is not a standard prenatal test. A pregnant woman is tested for HIV, other STDs, hepatitis, and so forth. I have read that a signficant number of women have HSV gentially (either type 1 or type 2) that do not know they have been infected because they may not show active symptoms (outbreaks) or perhaps they don't identify outbreaks as HSV. And of course, there is asymptomatic shedding. From what I understand, HSV can be harmful to a fetus during delivery. So, why wouldn't they test all pregnant women for it? I understand that the blood testing doesn't identify location. However, typically HSV-2 is genital...so at least those women would be alerted to the infection and could take valtrex (or its generic equivalent) during their last trimester.

Well, for that matter, why isn't HSV standard STD testing? I realize location cannot be deciphered from the blood test, but let's say the infection is type-1 (presumably oral) HSV-1 (orally) can still be spread to one's partner's genital area via oral sex. So why isn't this information people should have?

Take the Poll

If you have ever had STD testing (HIV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis) have you been tested for HSV?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Perhaps, but wasn't made aware if I was.
  • I asked, but doctor said there is no testing for HSV.
  • I had no idea there was a test.
vote
View Poll Results

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I think my doctor tested me for that around week 36 or 37 even though I was having a c-section.

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.