Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
recurring bacterial vaginosis
whymelord posted:
I have been having this same problem for the pass 3 yrs. Never had a pproblem before for then but not it's almost once a month..The longest I hhave gone without a flare up is 8 months. I have been doing some research because I have been to 3 doctors with the same out come. I have tried to cut down on sugars and high carb foods. I also try gluten free foods but tend to fall off the wagon a bit. I also found that taking folic acid and zinc supplements along with probiotic helps. I still have flare up but it's not as often. I really tired of this problem and I'm wondering is this due to me have a hysterictomy 7 sevens ago. My husband has been great but I feel so un-normal. this is so difficult to deal with. since I have been using the folic acid and zinc I have had a 6 months free period but then here it goes again. I have been eating some sugar not a lot, and breads got off my supplements some what. I hate taking medication of any kind. Question: If I continue to take supplements and eat the low carb foods will I be cured. I'm so tired of this issue.....

Anon_6061 responded:
Urogenital infections (UTI's and changing vaginal flora) seem to be fairly common after hysterectomy. It makes sense since the vagina is a closed environment after hysterectomy. I know vaginal estrogen is supposed to help UTI's but not sure if it has any impact on bacterial vaginosis.

georgiagail responded:
It is untrue that having a hysterectomy tends to increase bacterial vaginosis (although some who have this surgery tend to blame anything on this procedure). BV is, unfortunately, very common; the vaginal tract contains both yeast and bacteria at all times and the outgrowth of one or the other tends to cause either a yeast or bacteria infection.

There is little real research to suggest that a low carbohydrate or low sugar diet will prevent these infections. If one happens to pop up after eating something sweet its a bit like mom punishing you for being naughty and being caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

The fact you had your hysterectomy 7 years (I'm assuming you meant years when you wrote your original post) ago but have only had the problem would BV for the past 3 years should show you this surgery is not connected with the incidence of this.

Gail

cinjen9 replied to georgiagail's response:
Is BV itchy?

georgiagail replied to cinjen9's response:
It can be but many notice this by what is often described as a "fishy" odor:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bacterial-vaginosis/DS01193/DSECTION=symptoms

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Do you have symptoms of vaginal dryness or atrophy such as lack of lubrication, burning, itching, pain? Even if you kept your ovaries, hormone levels can fall after hysterectomy which can cause vaginal dryness and atrophy. And decreased blood flow (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaginal-atrophy/DS00770/METHOD=print) and loss of cervical mucus can further compromise vaginal tissues increasing risk for infection.

http://www.obgmanagement.com/article_pages.asp?AID=9283
"Bacterial vaginosis, one of the most common vaginal infections, can occur from vaginal atrophy. Irritants such as perfumes, lubricants, or moisturizers, and soaps can cause similar symptoms."
"In the vagina, estrogen causes a thickening of the vaginal epithelium, creating a redundant tissue layer. During sexual arousal, this redundancy allows the vaginal surface area to expand. The thickened vaginal epithelium, along with cervical mucous secretions and local bacterial flora, also act as physical barriers, preventing infection."

robow replied to Anon_6061's response:
I am 65 years old and have had breast cancer twice, resulting in two mastectomies done 11 years apart. With the second one done when I was 53 years old I had chemotherapy. I was put on tamoxifen for 5 years and followed with letrozol for several years. My breast cancer was estrogen receptive. I also had a hysterectomy in my 40's and only the uterus was removed.
I now have vaginal dryness to the point that when I go in for my yearly physical, the internal exam is very painful. Is there anything I can do to combat the dryness and sensitivity?

georgiagail replied to robow's response:
Have you mentioned to your gynecologist that this internal examination is uncomfortable because of this (I'm assuming that when you say only your uterus was removed that you continue to have your cervix and thus a Pap smear is still necessary) and that they should use extra lubrication during the internal examination?

Gail

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.