Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't see ovary on ultrasound
Mammaof4 posted:
My 14 yr old daughter had an ultrasound today due to frequent (every 14 days) periods and excessive cramping between periods. She has had a regular period for about 2 years until just recently. When the technician did the ultrasound today she said she was not able to get the left ovary, that it was hazy & her view was obstructed by something. What can cause them not to be able to see the ovary?

jk5493 responded:
Possibly cysts...? I have PCOS and I had a similar situation before I was diagnosed. Does she have a follow-up with the physician that ordered the US?

Mammaof4 replied to jk5493's response:
Not an appointment but the doctor said she would call with the results a day or two after she receives them. Imaging is in the same hospital building as the doctor so I am hoping sooner rather than later. I am not good at waiting for results

angeleyes1206 responded:
My left ovary likes to hide when I get an ultrasound done. I have learned from a very experienced sono tech who specializes in ob/gyn sonograms that if they push down on the left side of the abdomen it can help push the ovary into view. If she had a cyst and it had ruptured it causes fluid to leak into the pelvic area and this could possible obstruct the view. Not all ultrasound techs are trained to specialize in certain ultrasounds so they may not know all the tricks or always understand what they are seeing. Typically a radiologist or the ordering doctor will view the ultrasound to confirm whatever is seen. I hope this helps.

Mammaof4 responded:
They did find a cyst on the right ovary but we don't know if there are any on the left since they could not see it. The one they saw was only 4.3 cm so she has to have a follow up U/S in 8 weeks to see if it goes away or changes.

Helpful Tips

Menopause
The age of is not certain,It may at the age below 40. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.