Skip to content
Hysterectomy at 30 years old
An_251610 posted:
I'm considering having a full hysterectomy, what are the pros and cons to it? I'm 30 years old and have so many issues that the doctor has mentioned this may be the best way to solve everything. What is everyone thoughs on this?

Problem list: Endometrioses, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, oh and go years without a period.

georgiagail responded:
This is a serious surgery, especially in someone who is just 30 years old. It is important that you understand a full hysterectomy involves removing your ovaries which will throw you into surgically induced menopause with it's own significant symptoms.

I am not putting this surgery down (I had a hysterectomy myself but at age 47 and kept my ovaries) but it is important that you do some extensive research before you make your final decision regarding this.

http://www.health.ny.gov/community/adults/women/hysterectomy/

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
I agree - this is a serious surgery with serious long-term adverse effects. The female organs work together and have non-reproductive (lifelong) functions. "Best case" you'd be trading one set of problems for another. And worst case, since hysterectomy is not a cure for PCOS or endometriosis, you may be left with some of your existing problems plus new ones.

Studies show that pre- or post-menopausal ovary removal (or ovarian failure post-hysterectomy due to loss of blood flow to the ovaries) increases risk of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, hip fracture, Parkinsonism, dementia, cognitive impairment, short-term memory impairment, depression, anxiety, decreased positive psychological well-being, sleep disturbances, adverse skin and body composition changes, adverse ocular changes, lung cancer, more severe hot flushes, urogenital atrophy, and sexual dysfunction.

Hysterectomy is oftentimes inappropriately recommended - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674580.

PCOS is a metabolic/endocrine disorder with an irregular menstrual cycle being a symptom. Losing some weight can oftentimes help restore a regular cycle. There are also meds of which you're probably already aware.

Endo implants are usually found throughout the pelvis and it's difficult to remove all the implants so the endo symptoms can continue even after hysterectomy.

Fibroids oftentimes don't cause symptoms or ones severe enough to warrant removal. And if they do, they can oftentimes be removed via hysteroscopy or myomectomy allowing you to keep the uterus and its functions. If heavy bleeding is the symptom, there are hormonal and non-hormonal meds to reduce flow.

Do your research about your conditions and treatment options and the risks and benefits. You're the one who has to live with the consequences.

gkmurp responded:
I had a hysterectomy at the age of 30 due mostly to fibroids. The thing I remember most was that the option was forever taken out of my control as to if I wanted more kids or not. The only reason for taking the uterus out was to remove the tumors. Could have been done with a D & C instead. Lots to consider before facing major surgery so really put in the time for research, reflection and discussions. Good luck!

An_251662 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I know that this is a very difficult decision, but I want to share with you my experience. I was also 30 years old when I was faced with the same decision. The difference is that I had two daughters and we knew two was enough for us. It unfortunately sounds as if you cannot bear any of your own children most likely because of your troubled uterus. The good news is you do have so many more options/choices today in 2013 instead of back 26 years ago (I am presently 56).

My symptomatology was that I had endometriosis, PID (pelvic inflammatory disease, large symptom producing fibroids at times on both ovaries, as well as I had several positive Pap smears taken which eventually showed I had stage 2 cervical cancer as well and my cervix would have to be removed. I was suffering every day with cramping and pain before the surgery. I could no longer even have or enjoy sex with my husband because of the constant abdominal pain.

My surgeon explained to me after we decided I was going to have the hysterectomy that it is best to try and salvage at least one ovary and if he finds that he can save one or both of the ovaries then he would. A complete hysterectomy means removal of the uterus, cervix and ovaries, which yes puts you into immediate surgical menopause.

Unfortunately in my case both ovaries had to be removed, so yes when I woke up from surgery I definitely noticed the immediate changes going on in my body like dryness of all of my skin, etc. It took about 2-3 weeks after starting on hormone replacement therapy that I finally felt back to normal and my body responded very nicely to the hormones and I did very well taking the hormonal therapy with no side effects at all.

Post surgery I felt absolutely terrific. I had no more pain. Once I healed inside which took about 7 weeks, I felt absolutely wonderful with no more pain or cramping at all. The cramping and pain was coming from inside my uterus and with removal of the uterus all my symptoms completely went away.

At about a year and a half later I requested to try and wean myself off the hormones as there was a lot of controversy regarding hormone replacement therapy that might be linked to cancer, etc. but the medical community was still not sure even with the new data. So I made an appointment to see my gynecologist/oncologist to ask if I could wean off the hormones. After a lengthy discussion we both decided that I could give it a try. I felt very fortunate that it was completely successful in slowly weaning my body off the hormone replacement therapy medication. I just turned 56 this month and for the past 26 years, I never had to feel that pain again.
Another benefit was for me was since the surgery and after I healed, sex was never better. I really enjoyed the intimacy in my marriage because I was finally able to concentrate on my husband and our lovemaking with any more pain.

As you are probably well aware, every woman is completely different regarding their symptoms, pain level, etc so what completely worked for me can be totally different for you or it could work out in your favor. So it is very smart to do your own homework regarding your options as well as I suggest that you, your spouse if applicable and your physician should talk about your options as you should be well informed in order to make a educated decision. I also did a lot of research before making my decision and for me the pros out weighed the cons and I have never ever regretted making that decision to have a complete hysterectomy. Good luck to you!

georgiagail replied to An_251662's response:
Frankly, as a health professional, I find the claim that a hysterectomy increases the risk of developing heart disease, stroke, hip fractures, osteoporosis, Parkinsons, lung cancer and especially dementia medically inaccurate and, frankly, highly insulting to women who have undergone this surgery.

Gail

allalone responded:
I had a partial hysterectomy at 37 years old to find out that I bled so heavily that I was anemic.
You have a lot of problems and I empathize.
You will definitely have menopause earlier than most people do, but some people do as well.
I hope that you do well with your outcome and it helps if you trust your doctor.
I know I felt better after my partial hysterectomy and wish you the best.

Srg219777 replied to georgiagail's response:
As a Nurse I am surprised you haven't done more research of the clinical data available.
Medical Professionals always discuss evidenced based medicine. So before you say you find the calim that hysterectomy increases the risk of developing the medical issues you listed, I would suggest you peruse the research available that simply points those possible risks out.
It is not insulting to list risks (or benefits) of surgery. In fact, the possible adverse effects should be given to every woman considering having their uterus and/or ovaries removed.
That is what informed consent is supposed involve.

Anon_6061 replied to Srg219777's response:
Srg - Thanks for your post. I was feeling attacked for merely posting factual information.

Absolutely, women need to be made aware of the medically documented risks and adverse effects. Even if they've already had the surgery, it's important to know the increased risks so they can be more vigilant about their health.

I agree too that this information should come from the woman's doctor. But, unfortunately, that all too often isn't the case. Based on my connections with many other women who've had hysterectomies, they were not told the many increased health risks but only the surgical risks. And many were even given false information, as far as diagnosis, treatment options, and risks of those options. So it's very important for women to do their own research.

Justinmiller13 replied to Srg219777's response:
Can i have a question? My girlfrend had her period in april2. Its normal. And in april27, she ahd a brwn and light period. Its 5days early. Is she pregnant? Hope you can help me. Thankyou

Justinmiller13 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Can i have a question? My girlfrend had her period in april2. Its normal. And in april27, she ahd a brwn and light period. Its 5days early. Is she pregnant? Hope you can help me. Thankyou

Justinmiller13 replied to allalone's response:

Justinmiller13 replied to An_251662's response:
Can i have a question? My girlfrend had her period in april2. Its normal. And in april27, she ahd a brwn and light period. Its 5days early. Is she pregnant? Hope you can help me. Thankyou. We had our last intercourse in march22

Justinmiller13 replied to gkmurp's response:
Can i have a question? My girlfrend had her period in april2. Its normal. And in april27, she ahd a brwn and light period. Its 5days early. Is she pregnant? Hope you can help me. Thankyou. We had our last intercourse in march22.

Anon_6061 responded:
Back to the original discussion...The hormonal (endocrine) effects can be found in Pubmed or Google Scholar by searching for "hysterectomy ovarian failure" and "oophorectomy health risks."

You'll also want to understand the consequences and increased risk factors of the loss of pelvic integrity.

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.