Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    2 years in between periods
    An_251610 posted:
    My son is 4 years old now, since I've given birth I've had one period. Had one 2 years after he was born, and going on 2 years again. My general practictioner doesn't seem to worry about this but the more reading I do the more I'm getting scared. What harm is this doing to me?
    tlkittycat1968 responded:
    I don't think it's doing any harm as there are birth control options that allow a woman to only have a period every 3-4 months or less.

    The question here is why you aren't having regular periods. I'd work with a gyn to figure this out.
    Anon_6061 responded:
    This isn't normal and should be investigated. Going too long without a period can cause an abnormal build-up of the uterine lining (hyperplasia). There are a number of metabolic / endocrine conditions that can cause the lack of menstruation. Some that come to mind are PCOS, thyroid, pituitary. An endocrinologist would be the best suited to give you a complete workup. Best of luck in getting answers.

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.