Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Discomfort caused by period or infection?
An_251681 posted:
I've grown accustomed to my periods, and always know to prepare for lower back cramps, dizziness and feeling faint. This time, however, is different.

My period isn't as heavy nor is it associated with the usually painful cramps. I am bloated, but it feels as if there is a sort of "traffic" situation internally. By that I mean, there is obviously blood that needs to come out, but additionally bowels & urine. I feel like I keep having to urinate, but every time I go, I don't get everything out. And toward the end of each, I get this weird sensation/pressure. Not painful, and urine doesn't burn. Sort of an uncomfortably good sensation (?) I am also very gassy, and constantly feel like I need to have a bowel movement. My initial thought is that there is so much going on inside that needs to come out and that is why I have discomfort. I am worried the problem might be something along the lines of a UTI or some kind of an infection...

Some additional information: I am 20 and recently became sexually active again after about 6-7 months. I initially had some trouble as far as vaginal lubrication went, but had sex a few days ago without a problem. It was however, unprotected sex. The discomfort didn't begin until the end of the first day, when I noticed my body almost wanting to reject the tampon I was wearing. I did get very turned on earlier that day, I wonder if that had any effect?

Also, for some time I've been concerned with being more gassy than usual, as well as being bloated very often. It just seems like something isn't right in my stomach and my body is often pretty angry with me. I live a healthy lifestyle. I exercise and eat healthy, drink a lot of water, etc.

georgiagail responded:
If your concern is that this unprotected sex may have resulted in an infection, consider some STD testing.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.