Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Peeing a LOT in the middle of the night.
ShelboDee posted:
Hello. Okay so, this is a recent thing that has been happening to me for about a month or so now.

I'm diabetic first off with my sugars under control. But I have been diagnosed for over a year and this peeing in the middle of the night just started occurring, so I really don't think it has anything to do with my diabetes.

The only things I drink are water and tea. I don't even drink juices or anything because of all the sugar. It's literally only water and tea. I don't drink that much either. A drink at a meal and maybe one throughout the day. So maybe 4 drinks max throughout the entire day? Also to add, I barely urinate during the day. Maybe 2-3 times like normal.

But at night? That's a different story. I will use last night for example just to show you what I"m going through.

Went to bed at midnight, and forced myself to pee right before sleep.
At 2:45 am, had to wake up to pee. And it was a LOT, my bladder was completely full.
Woke up again at 5:05 am, bladder full.
Again at 7:20 am.
And lastly, right before my alarm went off at 9:50 am.

So yep, 4 times in the middle of the night. And every single time my bladder is full to the max. There is a LOT of urine every time. This can't be healthy, and I know it's not normal. I'm obviously going to go to the doctor, but what does this sound like to anyone? A kidney problem or a bladder problem??

georgiagail responded:
When do your drink your last glass of tea and is it decaffinated or regular?

Gail

ShelboDee replied to georgiagail's response:
Usually at dinner. Around 7-8ish.
I do admit sometimes I drink tea or water right before bed.
I've been trying to cut back..but, doesn't seem to be helping any.

Also I just drink regular unsweetened tea with some sweet and low in it. So I believe it's caffeinated.

I know caffeine and tea is a diuretic, but I've been drinking tea my whole life and have never had this problem. Even back before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I drank tea AND soda. Never had to pee this much in the middle of the night like this

georgiagail replied to ShelboDee's response:
Try decaffeinated tea.

You can, of course, discuss this with your physician but the first thing they will look at is your diabetes and yes, they will likely order blood work to check renal function.

On the other hand, I don't have diabetes and we tend to eat our dinner late (typically around 8 pm) and like you, I have a glass of regular tea with sugar substitute (sweet and low) and I also find myself rolling out of bed several times during the night for a trip to the bathroom.

Never used to do that in years prior. It's annoying and my kidney and bladder function is normal. I'm chalking it up to one of those "growing older" things. My partner does the same thing and I'm telling him it's his prostate.

Gail

ShelboDee replied to georgiagail's response:
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
I've heard the getting up in the middle of the night is normal as you age, but I'm just 22 lol.

georgiagail replied to ShelboDee's response:
Old and cranky!

Gail

mslady5623 responded:
I know the feeling. I have the same problem and have had that problem since they removed some of my thyroid. I am also type 2 diabetic. I get up in the night about 3 to 4 times with full bladder. I do drink water before bed because of my medication I have to take at bed time. I only get about 5 hours a sleep a night because of getting up and having hot flashes. If any one has answer I would like to know too!. I don't do tea or coffee at night and I have tried black cohash for the hot flashes. It doesn't work. I have tried melatonie and ambien for the lack of sleep and still can't get more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep.

patricia1944 responded:
The same thing happens to me. I look at the clock and say to myself that I just went an hour ago. Sometimes I just make it to the bathroom and as you stated, I also have a full bladder.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.