Skip to content
how common/likely is the "lost tampon" scenario?
newgirl2010 posted:
I am just wondering. I was at the end of my period last night, where there would be minimal (if any) bleeding. I had intercourse. I don't think i had a tampon in...but things felt a bit tight. It could have been a result of not being properly lubricated, not having intercourse for the week, etc. But it got me thinking, what if i neglected to remove my tampon. i tried feeling around internally, but wasn't able to discern anything. I have heard of this happeneing, however. what should i be on the look out for? abdominal pain, odor? will it likely "resurface"? shall I go straight away to my gyno? Thanks.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Definitely be on the look-out for odor. If you did happen to have one it, it might not resurface on its own. It wouldn't hurt to call your doctor and see what they say.

pamelaegannp responded:
If you did have one in the doc should be able to remove it with a simple endoscopy, which compared to some of the alternatives would render you quite lucky given the circumstances.

An_251870 responded:
Need to go to your doctor. Because if you tryed to remove the tampon . The string may have come loose from the tampon. Were you think you have removed it & it 's still there. You will have abdonminal pain, real bad dead order, also you will have problems with dizziness. If you don't take care of it know you will have to deal with a real bad infection. I went through this . This something you don't want to go through. I was'nt able to use tampons after that. Go see your doctor as soon as possible & let them know what you think has happen. Youdo'nt want to go through what I went through.

nemeanleo responded:
I hope you went to the doctor, I've had this happen a couple of times. It never got to the point of abdominal pain or anything like that, but there is an odor. I like you tried to get it out on my own and wasn't very successful, but knowing what I do now. I think I possibly could get it out on my own. Kegals may help push it out. And with some help from gravity it may come out. Stand in a wide squat and flex your muscles down there.. you may want to use some lube. if this doesn't work then I would definitely go to the doctor. It's better to be safe then sorry. Toxic shock syndrome was always a big concern of mine and the ultimate reason I decided to go to the doctor. Good Luck!

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.