Skip to content
Hysteroscopy for Uterine Polyp - SCARED - help!!
briz350 posted:
I had an endometrial polyp diagnosed via ultrasound (went in to be seen about spotting) and am going to have it removed by hysteroscopy. I've read about the procedure and it sounds pretty straight forward but made the mistake of reading, in detail, about rare complications. Embolism? Fluid Overload? Perforations? I tend toward anxiety pretty badly anyway so reading all this was a stupid move on my part.

Someone please talk me down .....anyone who has had hysteroscopy for polyps, fibroids, diagnostic, etc....

Thank you for reading!

Tabstar81 responded:
You are not alone. I had a hysteroscopy last Sept. and in the days leading up to the surgery I was terrified. I reassure you that the entire procedure went very smoothly. I too had a polyp and was vey scared of what they might find. However, all of the hospital staff were very kind, after checking in I received an IV, a half hr later the took me into the operating room, the anesthesiologist asked me one question and I was knocked out before I even remember finishing my answer. Next thing you know I woke up in recovery, I'm not going to lie, I was in pain at that time. It felt like hard cramping. Nurses gave me meds and I was able to go back to sleep. After that the surgeon came in to tell me the removal was successful and that everything else looked normal (Thank Goodness!) The pain lasted about 3-4 days, but the bleeding (mostly spotting) lasted a 2 days. However, they say everyone recovers differently. I wish you the best. Try not to google anything else. Continue to say your prayers, make sure you have plenty of magazines or movies or good music to keep you company in the das after and You should be fine *BIGhugs*

briz350 replied to Tabstar81's response:
Tabstar - thank you so iChat for your reply. It made me feel better. I'm having this done under twilight anesthesia so it's not general anesthesia, but it is being done in the hospital. I'll just be sure to ask them to go 'heavy' on the twilight. I have a pre-op appt the week before with my GYN and will discuss my concerns and anxiety at that time. Also, thanks for telling me what I might expect afterwards. That's helpful. Hugs back.

briz350 replied to briz350's response:
Text replacer - ugh! I meant thank you so MUCH for your reply.....

Saintsgirl62 responded:
I had a hysteroscopy/D&C done on a Wednesday back in March for atypical bleeding. It went very well. I woke up from the anesthesia with no pain and just some slight bloating. Pathology came back negative for cancer. That's the news I was praying for. I was prescribed pain pills, but I didn't need to take any. I had some moderate flowing for a few days, but nothing abnormal. By that Friday evening, I was feeling back to my old self. Yes, everyone recovers differently, but this procedure isn't as invasive as others. Keep positive thoughts! I have my 3 month check up the end of June.

Helpful Tips

When is it appropriate to remove an IUD?
I have had my IUD inserted after my baby was born three years ago. When would it be suitable to have it removed? I know it is ok to have ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.