Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dark Brown Discharge 6 Days After Period
straittradition posted:
I started my period as normal in the middle of the month on the 12th, and it ended as usual 7 days later on the 18th. Now, after 6 days of not having my period, I experienced a dark brown gooey discharge. It wasn't like the blood I get when I start my period, it was mixed with my usual discharge. I used a tampon last night, and this morning there was some brown on the tampon and a tinge of red as well. I've looked at some causes of this abnormality and found several different reasons for having it.

The first I'm finding is that at this point in my cycle, I am probably ovulating or right about to ovulate, and this could just be due to the shifting in my monthly hormones.

The second is implantation bleeding, but it seems that from most sources I read up on, the blood is usually light pink or red, not dark brown, and it takes between 6-10ish days for this to occur anyway. I had protected sex two days ago, with no problems with the condom, though we had to back off the deep penetration a little when it hurt. Could that have something to do with it?

The third thing I'm finding is that it could be leftover blood from my last period that my uterus is just cleaning out. I'm finding that this is not at all uncommon.

More thoughts on this is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.