Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Paragard taken out, had irregular periods with it and now have not had one since it was taken out
justamommy713 posted:
I had my Paragard taken out and am not actively trying to get pregnant. Before the paragard I had regular periods and while having it my periods were very irregular almost the whole 8 years of having it in. Did anyone else expirence this and if so when did your period return to normal or how long did it take for you to get pregnant. Is there anyone that has had the paragard nearly as long as I have most everyone I have seen has averaged about 3 years. Thanks ladies!!

justamommy713 responded:
No one?

wahockeymom replied to justamommy713's response:
I had a Paragard for five years and had very heavy, very long periods. I chalked it up to having had my third child. I switched to a Mirena for five years, which is its life span. My doctor recommended the Paragard, because it doesn't have hormones. So I decided having heavy periods was worth not being on hormones. I was very regular on the Paragard, basically didn't have any periods on the Mirena and now I'm now I haven't had my period after five weeks of being back on the Paragard. I didn't expect this. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow to she what she thinks. Thanks for the info.

justamommy713 replied to justamommy713's response:
Just an update I started my period so no baby yet

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.