Skip to content
extreme tiredness and lack of energy during period
terrilynn48 posted:
I am 48 yrs old, over the past couple years my period has been irregular coming between every 2 to 3 weeks, sometimes light 1 to 3 days sometimes heavy with clotting for 3 to 5 days. During some of these menstrual cycles I get extremely tired with no energy at all, I ache all over, I pass a lot of clots, I have dark circles under my eyes and just generally feel sick. Is this pre-menopause or could there be something else going on here. I have been treated twice in my life for cervical dysplasia and I haven't had a pap in several years, I have had some light discharge and have thought at times that I had a yeast infection and just recently for 3 days I was having pain in my back like it was my kidneys, that was two weeks ago and have had no pain since then. I know I need to go see the GYN, but I wanted some advice first as I do not have insurance at this time. thanks, terri

Anon_6061 responded:
Whacky cycles are common during perimenopause. Bleeding can be more frequent, less frequent, heavier, lighter - anything goes! With your frequent "periods" and symptoms, it sounds like your iron is low (possibly to the point of being anemic). Sounds like an exam and some blood work are in order. Hopefully, these crazy cycles will soon be a thing of the past. If they're too troublesome, there are options to regulate them (such as birth control pills).

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.