Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I think I am pregnant. When should I test?
An_252352 posted:
I last had sex about a month ago (May 15). Although I am not on birth control we did use a condom. A few days later (about 2-3) I got my period or so I think. The flow was very different from my regular periods. The first couple of day were thick dark mucous-like blood followed by a more or less short regular flow. I normally use a Diva Cup which I did not have to change as often. I read about implantation bleeding but it seemed to heavy to be that. About 2 weeks later I started to notice some body changes (swollen breast and breakouts). On June 3rd I did see my GP about regulating my period. I was prescribed birth control (which I have yet to start) and had to take a mandatory urine test. It came up negative. It is possible since it was only 2 weeks later that hormones levels may not have been high enough and I took it late in the day.

Which brings me to now... I have somewhat irregular periods but I do get one every month. Generally it my cycle is between 26-35 days. By my calculation I should have my period somewhere between June 14 and June 20. Today is the 17 and I have not gotten it yet. I bought a home pregnancy test to double check. I was planning on waiting to wait until the 20th to test but the waiting is causing me lots of stress. Should I wait or would it be ok to test before that?

Help!

Anxious

georgiagail responded:
If you two used a condom and it did not break or tear (and it was used accurately), what makes you think you are pregnant?

It is also quite likely that the test taken 2 weeks later would certainly have come back positive if you were pregnant from that event.

So it really doesn't matter when or if you take the pregnancy test IF the condom was used accurately. You are not pregnant.

Gail

fcl responded:
A pregnancy test taken 2 weeks after sex would most likely have been accurate.

If your period is late the chances are high that it's because you're stressing about pregnancy.

For the record, implantation bleeding is just light spotting not at all like a full blown period and it occurs 6-10 days after sex. 2-3 days after would have been way too soon for it to have been implantation.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.