Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thought I was covered for B/C - Essure, Ablation, and my age (47) - am I wrong??
Southerngirl1984 posted:
Hello, this is my first post. I want to know if I SHOULD be covered for birth control. I am having some anxiety because of symptoms right now and need some reassurance (too soon for test). I have had the Essure procedure which is supposed to be 99.7% effective (though I am finding LOTS of stories on the internet of people who have gotten pregnant with Essure!). I had the follow-up procedure at 3 months that showed the coils were in place and I was totally blocked (supposedly those online had the same experience, yet still got pregnant!). I also had an endometrial ablation which I understand is NOT birth control, BUT it does make pregnancy more difficult (again, the rate of pregnancy with someone having an ablation is like 0.7, but I read about people online who have had them AND gotten pregnant!). I also am 47 and saw where statistics show that women in my age group have a 1% chance per month of getting pregnant (yet I read about women online my age who ARE pregnant). This is freaking me out! What are the odds that I need to worry about this vs. knowing that I have done all that I can do??? And with all three of these things combined, aren't my odds really low?? I am really freaking out here (( Any input would be welcomed!

georgiagail responded:
With all three of these (the Essure, the ablation AND your age), pregnancy is HIGHLY (and I do mean highly!) unlikely.

Keep in mind that you can't believe all the stories you read on the Internet.

Gail

Southerngirl1984 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you, Georgia Gail from one southern gal to another )) I am TOTALLY freaked out about this. I got the Essure and ablation for a reason, and would be devastated if the Essure failed (( You are SOOO right about not believing everything on the internet.............I am so guilty about thinking the worst. Perhaps all of those situations had ONE of those variables but not the other..........I know logically for ALL THREE of those things combined, it has to be very, very, very unlikely, but needed some reassurance )))

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.