Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Low hormones in young women
    An_252371 posted:
    2 years ago I was having pains in my upper legs and went to the doctor. They ran blood work and I had post menopausal levels of estrogen and progesterone. They put me on desogen birth control pills and I thought I was good to go. I was 25 then and am 27 now. I recently began having pains around my ovaries so I went back and even with the birth control the hormone levels haven't budged. I am terrified of what having no hormones in my body for 2+ years has done to me and my chances of having children. I have no insurance and they recommended I go get a sonogram. Someone else told me I should see an Ob Gyn. I've been researching what could cause this but have found nothing and I hardly exercise so that's definitely not it. What could be causing this? What can I do? What's the next best step? What kinds of tests do I need? I need to spend my money very wisely because I don't have insurance.
    Anon_6061 responded:
    I've read that hormone levels aren't accurate when taking birth control pills. An endocrine workup may be a good idea. It's possible this isn't a primary gynecological problem but something else such as your thyroid or pituitary. A reproductive endocrinologist may be your best option in getting a diagnosis.
    Mariahlaureen replied to Anon_6061's response:
    Thanks so much for your reply. My thyroid has been checked and is normal. Also, I called a local endocrinologist and they said they don't deal with that type of hormone issue (hrt). I am open to any ideas or suggestions. I am also having weird random pains around my body especially in my legs. I guess maybe I would call it nerve pain. Could this be related?

    Helpful Tips

    birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
    I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    34 of 73 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.