Skip to content
bleeding and night sweats before period
nanco235 posted:
I am 51 years old. I still regularly get my period. For the last 2 months I have started lightly spotting brownish blood on my toilet paper for about 5 or 6 days and then usually end up getting my period. During the spotting time I find that some of those nights I have bad night sweats. Is this the start of menopause or something more serious? I have some discomfort like back pain and mild cramping during this time as well. I am getting myself nervous.

Anon_6061 responded:
Based on your age, hormonal changes are the likely culprit. The menstrual cycle can change in a number of ways during peri-menopause and there's no way to predict what any given month will bring whether it be a shorter or longer cycle, heavier bleeding, lighter bleeding, spotting, a missed period, anything goes. - shorter or longer cycles, sporadic bleeding/spotting, and missed periods. Changes in cramping and back pain seem pretty common too. Hopefully, your transition to menopause won't be too troublesome!

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.