Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prominent Lymph Nodes
An_252401 posted:
I was diagnosed with stage 1 grade 2 breast cancer in the fall of 2009 and did chemo and radiation therapy.

In April I had a breast MRI and breast mammogram done and both of them showed 'prominent lymph nodes in the left axilla.

My cancer was in my right breast.

My GP is not one for telling every single detail of test results. Just wondering what the prominent lymph nodes in the left axilla' mean.. do I have to worry and mean that this cancer has spread to the left breast and/or has a chance of?

Thanks for any help. Charmaine

georgiagail responded:
Prominent lymph nodes in the left axilla (i.e., in the armpit) can be due to many things, including inflammation since lymph nodes swell with this.

They do not automatically mean a return to breast cancer and cannot be used as a diagnose just for this.

Gail

charmainejensenvoisine replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for the reply Gail -
Now why would lymph nodes swell on the left side if my breast cancer was on the right side and I also had 3 lymph nodes removed from the right side 'lymph nodes dissection'?

Thanks, Charmaine

georgiagail replied to charmainejensenvoisine's response:
Because you no longer have these lymph nodes on the right side to swell during inflammation (they've been removed during the first surgery).

If you still had them and had even a mild infection you might experience swelling on both sides.

Gail

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.