Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Body adapting to birth control pills
cwu007 posted:
I've been on birth control pills for 3 years. I didn't take them for 9 months due to a separate medical issue. But I've been back on them for the last 9 months. Before going on the pill I was in a lot of pain to the point where I needed Vicodin and sometimes vomited during my periods. For a while the worse pain I got was comparable to muscle soreness which was easily tolerable. Everything was great until about 3 months ago. I started to get abdominal pain between periods. If I was an hour late taking my pill abdominal pain would set in. It was still very mild so I brushed it off until my last period. The day of my last pill I was in a lot of pain to the point where I was taking prescription strength ibuprofen. The next day, I was in so much pain I had to take a Vicodin and had to call off from work. (I haven't called off from work due to menstral cramping in quite sometime) I did call my OBGYN. I have an appointment set with her for the end of next month. The nurse suggested that my body is probably adapting to the pills or it might be fibroids due to family history and other symptoms (I recently found out almost every woman on both sides of my family has had uterine fibroids. Almost all of them needed surgery) I have heard stories of the body adapting to the pill but it was always 5, 7, 10 years down the road. Has anyone heard a story of someone adapting to the pill this quickly? On the other hand, I seem to be a little young for fibroids, I'm only 27. How common or uncommon is it for a young person to get fibroids?

georgiagail responded:
I doubt this theory of "adapting" to the pills makes any medical sense and there is something else going on with your body to explain this pain.

Gail

fcl responded:
Pain is a sign that something is wrong; extreme pain even more so. Please make an appointment with your doctor today to get examined and treated for this problem. Do not accept any diagnosis from anyone who has not examined you in person. Ever.

I hope that this turns out to be something simple to deal with

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.