Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Took the Depo Shot once 9mo ago..I'm spotting everyday no regular period yet
claudia0918 posted:
Hi I am 22 years old and last year i decided to try the Depo shot for the first time. I didn't like the way it made me feel so i never went back again for the second shot. This was back in October 2012. Since then i have not had my regular periods and i gained weight. My concern is that my menstrual cycle has not gone back to its normal cycle, i am spotting every day with occasional cramping and uncomfort. I bleed light but what comes out is very dark almost brown blood. At the beginning i was not too concerned because i thought it was just old blood coming from the months before i did not get a period but it has been way too long now and it seems like everyday i am spotting heavier.
This is starting to affect me in my sex life because i am always bleeding and even if I'm not that day when i try having sex the bleeding starts again. I am not on any form of birth control since I took the shot.
Can someone please give me some advice on what to do. I don't want this to start affecting my relationship i went from having sex almost everyday to maybe once every week or two.
Its not comfortable being like this everyday i thought of getting back on the pill to try to regulate my hormones but i don't k now if its a good idea. Should i wait until my period gets normal again to get back on BC? or should i get back on it to see if my cycle goes back to normal?

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.