Skip to content
How soon?
An_252496 posted:
I was just diagnosed with High grade cervical dysplasia CIN3. Now my doctor wants to do a LEEP. I am scheduled for a month from today. Should I have this done sooner?

georgiagail responded:
When one has been diagnosed with something, they often want the next step to be done sooner. Sounds like the procedure was scheduled based on the first available slot that the physicians office had.

However, keep in mind that there are always cancellations. You might contact your physicians office and ask them to contact you should there be a cancellation so this can be done sooner.

Gail

JenMPhillips replied to georgiagail's response:
They did actually have sooner dates. It was delayed because I already had a vacation planned. Now that I have been researching the diagnosis and treatments, I really think I want to skip ahead to a hysterectomy. I am almost 38 years old and do not plan on having anymore children. My reproductive organs are useless to me now. And if they providing more risk for cancer to develop, why not just get them out? I just don't know if this is an option for me.

Anon_1770 replied to JenMPhillips's response:
Speaking as one who has had a hysterctomy (and has had NO problems with this), one just doesn't get to "skip ahead" to this surgery.

If nothing else, insurance won't let you do this. Insurance companies nowadays only tend to approve payment for this surgery after you have undergone other procedures such as colposcopies, LEEP's, etc.. In addition, although some may say physicians are too quick to remove these organs, I work in health care and have found that it typically is exactly the opposite. Physicians are quite hesitant to make someone undergo such a major surgery to remove a perfectly health uterus when the far less invasive LEEP can take care of the situation.

In my case, I had to undergo several steps (and the offending cells kept returning) before considering the hysterectomy and I have excellent insurance coverage. And this was almost 15 years ago when insurance companies were far more lenient toward this surgery then they are now.

So...unless you have about $30K in your back pocket to pay for this yourself your insurance company (and your physician) might be your stumbling block here.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Your reproductive (sex) organs aren't JUST FOR reproduction. Nor are men's. I would gladly pay $30K to get my uterus back!

Many women find that their sex lives are negatively impacted by hysterectomy even if they keep their ovaries. All the severing of nerves, blood vessels, and ligaments can impact sensation. Also, the uterus and ligaments that hold it in place are critical to your internal and external anatomy. Hysterectomy increases risk of pelvic organ and vaginal vault prolapse.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/vaginal_prolapse/page2_em.htm#vaginal_prolapse_causes
"The uterus is an important part of the support structure at the top of the vagina. A hysterectomy involves removing the uterus. Without the uterus, the top of the vagina may gradually fall toward the vaginal opening. This condition is called a vaginal vault prolapse. As the top of the vagina droops, added stress is placed on other ligaments. Hysterectomy is also commonly associated with an enterocele, in which the small bladder herniates near the top of the vagina."

Since 76% of hysterectomies don't meet ACOG criteria - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674580 - it may be quite easy to get one approved regardless of diagnosis or previous treatments.

I have no clue what my gynecologist submitted to get mine approved because I had no history of uterine problems. After my uterus and ovaries were unnecessarily removed, I tried to get details about the authorization and my insurance company would not disclose what my doctor submitted.

More than anything, I detest the changes to my figure and the back, hip, and rib cage pain that has ensued. Many women seem to complain of weight gain after hysterectomy but my weight hasn't changed and I'm still underweight as I've always been.

Just be sure to do your research if you're seriously considering a hysterectomy. There are a number of hysterectomy support websites, Hystersisters probably being the most popular. The many forums there - Hormone Issues, Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues, Sexual Dysfunction, the Road Less Traveled, etc. - reflect post-hysterectomy adverse effects.

Medical studies - websites such as PubMed - are also a good source.

I hope the LEEP is all you need!

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.