Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High FSH and thickened uterine lining
Schnappsers posted:
Hi-- I'm 41 years old and about three or four years ago I started having really heavy and long (sometimes 20 days) periods while on birth control pills. I went off the pill and my body seemed to normalize. About a year and a half ago I became very fitness conscious and went form a size 12 to a 2 and during that time, my period became less frequent, which I attributed to activity level. About 6 months ago I went to the gyn when it had been nearly 3 months since my last period. I was apparently ovulating at that time but had an ultrasound anyway and got my period two weeks later. The ultrasound seemed normal with a couple of small cysts and my FSH level was normal at that time. I then went 2 1/2 months before my next period and then and other 3 1/2 months passed without one. The round of tests two weeks ago showed my FSH was abnormally high and I just got a call that the doctor believes my uterine lining is too thick, so I need to go in for a biopsy next week. The doctor last week said the FSH level probably indicates I'm in peri menopause, then in the call today said the thickened uterine lining probably wouldn't give a false reading on the FSH test, but they may be two unrelated problems. To me, it's a bit odd that two simultaneous issues would be unrelated.

All of this has come while I've been going through a series of lumbar cortisone injections with a radio frequency neurotomy rearming scheduled for tomorrow to deal with arthritis in my spine. Could these treatments impact the other issues and screw up those test results? A possible additional factor is the fact that I could easily have been exposed to all sorts of odd tropical diseases during three recent trips to central Africa and have been on malaria meds recently. I'm not sure if any of these things could cause odd results.

Also, how bad is a biopsy? I feel like I'm at my limit for bad health news, so I'm really hoping it won't hurt and the chances of finding a problem are low.

I'd appreciate any assessments anyone can provide. Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.