Skip to content
period after 5 years without one
msjodi posted:
Hi I am msjodi, I am not sure if I'm posting my question in the right place, if not please someone let me know or redirect to right place THANK YOU! My question is. I am 45yrs young and I have always had a missed period here and thier when I was younger, in fact when I found out I was pregnant at 25yrs old I was 6months along, I never really took birth control, just other methods had worked out fine for me. Fast forward at age 40yrs my period had stopped, this was not alarming because both mom and sister had problems which resulted in a historectomy(mom) and a partial historectomy(sis) at around close to age 40. OK, so here I am looking at turning 46yrs in July and a few weeks ago started having breast pain and soreness so I was looking at making an appointment with the doc until this morning June 30th a little blood and now a full on large long pad, in the past my periods were only 4days at most and fairly med-light. What do ya-all think? and THANK YOU in advance for your time and input. msjodi

georgiagail responded:
A larger question that should be addressed is whether you entered early menopause around age 40 and thus this current bleeding does not represent a menstrual period but rather vaginal bleeding due to some other medical issue that has nothing to do with menstruation.

Gail

msjodi replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail, First I just wanted to thank you again for your reply sometimes it's helpfull to talk (tell) someone. Well now that you mention this I do have other information, about 2-3 yrs ago I was pre-cancerous within my cervics, and many yrs earlier. Both times were treated first time the tissues were burned off (medevial I know?) this last time they removed 2/3rds of my cervics. I'm not sure if I went into menopause I was not giving any hormones, also I should mention that I have not had sex in the last five or so years. In the beginning I just didn't find anyone I was attracted to and then after the cancer scare I was not taking any chances (silly I know). After I read your reply I called and made an appointment for tomarro at 3pm. If anyone has more to add I DO appreciate it, THANK YOU AGAIN! msjodi

georgiagail replied to msjodi's response:
I am glad you are getting this looked into.

The treatment for your abnormal cells on your cervix is fairly normal; I went through the same thing. Often the LEEP procedure removes the offending cells but sometimes it does not and they return and continue to proliferate.

All too often it is easy to mistake abnormal vaginal bleeding for "just" a menstrual period. It is very depressing to read on this forum the number of women who bleeding for weeks or months at a time and think this is just a menstrual period when it may be something medically more serious and they are putting their health at risk by not getting this looked into sooner.

Thank you for making the appointment.

Gail

msjodi replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail, I wish you a very Merry Christmas! Sorry for not replying sooner I am not online very much. Well today is Dec. 18th and about 8 months into the situaton Yes, the appointment was made and then a (scrap)biopsy as well as an inside and out pelvic ultrasound, allthough no cancer was in the scrape(biopsy). I did have a white glimmer( could be a calcification?) I am going in on Jan. 6th for a Hysteroscopy? A camera and a totall scraping of the uterus, because they say my uterus is 8cmm thick (a hot bed for cancer, so they tell me) and I have a family history of cancer. I also wanted to add that being a woman really is fustrating and I am soooooo glad that their are websites like this to help with feedback and support! THANK YOU AGAIN! any inputs are helpful and welcomed. .Lj (msjodi)

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.