Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Bleeding From Vagina During Sex, After Bowel Movement, And When Startled
    An_252556 posted:
    I am 19 years old, I am on the pill, and my OBGYN said I am still too young for a PAP or any other evasive exam. I started bleeding when I get a little startled or tense my stomach muscles, when I have a bowel movement, and once during sex. I have had sex twice since the blood from sex and my boyfriend and I took it a little easier those two times. But for the past two days, when I get startled and tense my lower stomach muscles or pass a bowel movement i bleed a little. Its much brighter than period blood and it is to the point where I need to keep in a tampon but I am definitely not on my period. Needless to say I am pretty worried. Any idea what could be wrong?
    georgiagail responded:
    The internet board doesn't know but your OBGYN is incorrect in what you were told. If you are old enough to be sexually active and on oral contraceptives, you are old enough for an internal exam and a PAP.

    Find another OBGYN who is more willing to check out these symptoms.

    Anon_6061 responded:
    I have no idea what could be causing this bleeding. So an exam may be a good idea just to rule out anything serious.

    As far as a pap, the guidelines recommend that women get one every 3 years starting at age 21 - The reason for less testing is that cervical changes occur very slowly and abnormal cells usually resolve on their own in younger women. So too many women were being over-treated which can cause undue cost (to patient and/or insurance company) as well as harm to the patient.

    Of course, it's possible that this bleeding may warrant testing that otherwise wouldn't be recommended.

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.