Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Young with One
sm1ley posted:
This past January I had to have my right ovary removed due to the ovary and tube rotating itself and cutting off blood circulation. I am 22 and I have talked to my Doctor, but I continuously become curious and wish to have more information from other professionals.

It has not disturbed my sex drive, but will it affect the timing of having a healthy baby if I am able to conceive. My dream life plan and to begin planning around 29-35 years of age, and I know that your eggs become less promising as you age for conceiving a mental healthy baby. So will only having one ovary affect this timeline? Will my eggs age faster? Will I hit menopause sooner?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I can share photos if anyone is interested (of my dead ovary).

georgiagail responded:
No, your eggs will not age faster nor will you hit menopause sooner with just one ovary.

Typically ovaries "take turns" releasing eggs; the right one one month, the left one the next. When one ovary is removed or no longer functions, the remaining one "takes over the entire job" and will continue to release an egg each cycle until you would normally reach menopause (or, of course, unless that ovary is surgically removed).

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
There are some studies that indicate increased risk for Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) and early menopause (EM) after removal of one ovary. Removal of or alterations to any part of the "reproductive" system (it actually has functions beyond reproduction), can hamper the system's normal functioning. Here are a couple of studies regarding unilateral oophorectomy -
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22572589
"... and unilateral oophorectomy were associated with earlier onset of natural menopause. Only unilateral oophorectomy was associated with increased risk of POF, and nulliparity and unilateral oophorectomy were associated with increased risk of EM"

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11223362
"Four causes are known for POF:...(3) Iatrogenic. Iatrogenic POF results from repeated ovarian surgeries, or from the underlying disease that led to the surgery. "

When one ovary is removed, the other one usually picks up the slack but not always. I know a handful of women who've had an ovary removed. Some had no adverse effects and went on to have no problems conceiving. But others had problems including an early, very difficult menopause.

Hopefully, you'll be one of the majority who has no problems going forward. But it's good to be aware of these possibilities so you can seek out help at the first signs of problems.

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.