Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
In desperate need of help!!
An_252632 posted:
I am 23 yr old female...in August of 2012 i was 135 lbs for a week in that month i was very sick and had a fever of 104 for abt a week and to top it off i got strep throat...i lost more weight but that following month i noticedmy face broke out like crazy and i gained 10 lbs in that one month...i was still working out and i eat pretty healthy so the weight gain was unexplained..i went to an OBGYN and explained what was going on and also notified them that my sex drive was completely gone!! i didnt get much answers out of that visit so i went to a doctor in october by then i had gained 20 lbs..he diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and put me on birth control to get my hormones back in control...i have been taking Viorele since October and am now for the past three months been having periods from every two weeks to every other week..lasting 6-7 days and not light at all...ive never had regular periods until i started the pills but now it seems my hormones are out of co trol and i have not lost any weight what so ever...i just keep gaining weight despite only eating healthy food and drinking nothing but water and working out constantly! i need HELP!!

fcl responded:
Your symptoms are certainly consistent with PCOS ... I suggest that you go back to your doctor and explain that your meds are not working. Sometimes you have to try several options before you find the right ones. Also, there are other avenues of treatment that could be explored. Start by making an appointment with your doctor.

Secondly, about your weight. I know you say you're eating healthy but are you eating too much? Or too little? Sometimes we underestimate the hidden calories. I'd like to suggest that you sign up for something like Weightwatchers. You'll learn to eat the right amount of the right foods for your build. It really is one of the easiest solutions and it isn't easy to lose weight with PCOS so why not give it a try?

giggles09 replied to fcl's response:
My diet consists of two servings of fruit prior to 2pm and nothing but vegetables and protein after 2pm...all i drink is water...havent had a soda since before my freshman year in high school...im following the 17 day diet which i have done in the past but this time its not working at all...im doing insanity, brazilian butt lift, camp gladiator and anything else i can find...the doctor back in october prescribed phentermine but my problem isnt appetite control..im hardly ever hungry but i stithe ll eat atleast 4 small meals a day usually consisting of s las..

giggles09 replied to giggles09's response:
...consisting of salads, im only 5'1 and diabetes runs in the family so all this weight gain is not good either way...

fcl replied to giggles09's response:
You realize that not eating enough can make you gain weight? Your body goes into starvation mode ... That' why I suggested WW ... to get you back on track again. At least to eat what your body needs. Eating too little is not good. Stop the 'diets', learn to eat healthy and follow your doctor's orders. I know it's scary but the route you're taking is not going to work. Eating the way you are doing is pretty well sure to make you gain.

LADYHOLIDAY517 replied to fcl's response:
What on earth is PCOS!?

fcl replied to LADYHOLIDAY517's response:
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - Google is your friend ...

DatGirl responded:
You are not alone....check out the PCOS Insulite system and join the groups on FB!

Healthcoachgirl responded:
Question to consider, besides the illness have you been under a lot of stress? Do you have a demanding job, relationship issues or too much to do? Chronic stress can have a huge Impact on your hormone balance, causing high cortisol levels and eventually burning out your adrenal glands.

I would tell your doctor that the birth control pills are not working and maybe try a holistic approach if you can. I don't advise going on a diet plan like weight watchers. It's better to just eat plenty of whole foods like fresh vegetables and whole grains for fiber. Be sure to drink water, include healthy fats like avocado, nuts and coconut oil and get adequate REST. The biggest diet change to make is to eliminate sugar and do not use artificial sweeteners (like diet sodas).

Your progesterone is probably low as well as your estrogen. To raise progesterone you can take Chasteberry or use a progesterone cream. I would work with your OB/GYN to make a plan. If you lower your cortisol level and heal your adrenals it should really help your hormones get back in balance. Sleep is also VERY important. You need at least 7 to 9 hours a night.

You might like to read "The Hormone Cure" by Sara Gottfried, MD or "Rushing Woman's Syndrome" by Dr. Libby Weaver. Both excellent books!

giggles09 replied to Healthcoachgirl's response:
I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to reply and all the information given..I know it's been awhile but just to update..My labs were drawn sometime in August and my estrogen level was high..I had been taking Viorele(birth control) prescribed to me due to the PCOS to help with the hormones but was switched to a different kind (sorry can't remember the name it's been so long) and was also placed on Metformin for the hormones (also used for diabetics)..started these sometime between the end of July and beginning of August..I soon found out at the end of August I was pregnant..although i was not super excited that I was about to gain even more weight..I was excited to know that I was able to conceive and even carry a baby with PCOS..I know a lot of women who are diagnosed with PCOS have trouble getting pregnant and try many different things and may not be successful...I was fortunate enough to be blessed with becoming a mother and am now 2 weeks away from meeting my little one...I found out Metformin helps with fertility and hopefully this information helps someone who is also wanting to conceive and has PCOS...Never hurts to try...As to how my hormones will react after my baby is born is unknown but I will keep you guys updated! God Bless!

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.