Skip to content
Help I seem to have misplaced my period!
Joni39 posted:
Hello all, My name is Joni and I am 44 years old and have not had a
period in 2 years now. Could that mean that there is something wrong?
Thanks for your time.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
Well, it's not normal in someone your age. Have you discussed this with your gynecologist?

Gail

Joni39 replied to georgiagail's response:
Well I am sorry to say no.
After my divorce, My insurance went with it.
Don't get me wrong, I don't miss them. Just not sure if it was normal.

Joni

georgiagail replied to Joni39's response:
No; this isn't normal for someone who is just 44 years old.

Gail

ladygnome responded:
figure out if you have any signs of menopause or other symptoms that might suggest anything more worrying going on. Check with family about their reproductive health history/age of menopause. most women stop periods gradually with less bleeding over time or irregular periods.

Joni39 replied to ladygnome's response:
I really haven't been having any signs of menopause other than chin hair. But as for checking family history; it is unknown. Mine just never came back. I think I will probably have to break down and go see a Gynecologist the next time I am in a twon longer than a day.

pattypatricia responded:
I was 42 when my periods stopped but it was not until 3 or 4 years later that I discovered why. I began having eye problems and went to my eye doctor who did a complete exam and discovered I was not seeing fully out of my left eye. He sent me to my medical doctor who ordered an MRI. This test showed that I had a tumor on my pituitary gland which was ultimately removed. But this pituitary gland tumor had stopped my periods. They never returned. If you are also having headaches, eye problems, see your medical doctor to see what he says.

renovator responded:
I started Menopause at 36 and was finished by 40. My Gynecologist said it is not that uncommon for women who do not have children (which I chose not to have). I was actually thrilled to go through Menopause in my early years as it's much easier to deal with than in a woman's later years. Personally I breezed right through it with only minor hiccups. Watching my poor Mother suffer in her later years was heart breaking. Another thing is try not to go on any form of Hormone Replacement Therapy if possible due to the side effects. If you absolutely have to then I suggest you have your Gynecologist prescribe the "Cream" that's hand made at the Pharmacy to match your blood tests for your specific hormone levels. It's that safest, most natural, effective way to go. All the best.

Anon_6061 responded:
As pattypatricia mentioned, pituitary problems can affect the menstrual cycle. Another thing to check is thyroid. Sometimes it's best to start with your primary care physician to see if an underlying problem is causing the gynecological problem. Sometimes it has nothing to do with your female parts.

grrbba5 responded:
Hi, joni39. I am 45 years old and have been going thru menopause since 40.. It is not as odd as every thinks. My gyne says it is early but not uncommon.. You go thru perimenapause first and then into Menapause. I have not had a cycle in 2 years also. Don't be worried at all. But I would go get a check up from your gyne any way to be sure that nothing else is going on.

Hawk4651 responded:
Before i say its not normal....i would ask if u ever had children. women who have never given birth have a tendency to began menopause early.....and to better comfort u i myself aling witb 2 of my friends done as well and our ages range from 45-50. So it may very well be not normal but its not unheard of. Although i would urge to have a check up. Browse your local listings, or contact an ob/gyn and ask about a free clinic. ive heard they provide basic services

Hawk4651

geni55 responded:
Hi, I went thru menopause by the time I was 45, so I agree. But there are many things that could be causing this, from just normal menopause to very bad things. If you have access to any type of healthcare in your area, Planned Parenthood, a local clinic, hospital that offers care on a sliding scale, I really suggest you go. There are several simple blood tests that can be run to check for menopause, thyroid, and a couple others. If they don't show anything, then I am sure they can refer you to a doctor who can help.
Good luck

Jinx39 replied to Hawk4651's response:
Yes hawk I have had 3 kids. I will check on the free clinic and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

Jinx39 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I don't think the fact that I have had 2 heart attacks wouldn't have anything to do with it. But I will have it checked out.

fcl replied to Jinx39's response:
I don't mean to offend but ... did being overweight contribute to your heart attacks? OR have you gained weight recently? Because being overweight can make your periods irregular or even stop them entirely.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.