Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't lose weight since Menopause!
LADYHOLIDAY517 posted:
I have always been almost "too thin" all of my life; I never dreamed I would ever have a "Weight Problem;" but all of a sudden when I started to reach my late 40's I started to gain a lb or two every week it seemed. (no change in diet, or excercise!)
Now, after gaining 50 lbs over my usual weight, I can't lose it no matter what I do! I've tried different diets, I have 'NO CONTROL' what-so-ever! When my tummy wants to eat I have to eat, or I'll die! The funny thing is, I don't have "ANY APPETITE AT ALL DURING THE DAY," but come around 4, or 5pm, I will try to have a sensible 'Dinner' like 'Fish, & Veggies,' or 'Chicken with Salad, & Veg., etc. But then! I start to 'CRAVE SWEETS!' That's where my problem is. I could have 'several kinds of 'Deserts!' It seems like I can't stop eating! Don't tell me to have a 'Big Breakfast' because if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't eat anything except 'Coffee!' Then, maybe, I will have a half 'Banana' or bowl of 'Cereal.' But that's it! I also have a very 'SLOW METABOLISM' I think due to a 'Nodule on my Thyroid.' I can't really do any excercising anymore due to a extreme 'Bad Back Problem.' The only excercise I can do is 'Swimming' but that's hard to find mostly because the place I live in doesn't have a pool, so I have to 'Pay' sometimes to find a 'Public Pool.' How often can you do that?! It does get expensive! I just get so 'Frustrated' when I see so many 'Diets, and Excercise Programs' on TV! Like people have so much money for these, and anyhow, it wouldn't work for me I feel since I have this 'Thyroid Problem' and I'm now 'Retired.' The only time I lost weight was when I was terribly ill from an operation, but as soon as I started to 'eat food again,' the weight came right back!!! Now I'm trying 'Burn Fat Pills,' and 'Cleansing Pills' to lose! That helps a little and I lose a few lbs, but I'm afraid to keep doing those things because it could be a problem for your 'Liver.'

Take the Poll

Any body have a 'Pool' out there I can come to would be GREAT! That's the best thing I could do for myself. I live in the Palm Desert Area. Thanks for all helpful replys.
  • any
  • any
  • any
  • any
  • any
vote
View Poll Results

georgiagail responded:
Stop with the pills and cleansing products. Join Weight Watchers. It's still the best program out there.

It's also highly unlikely you have a slow metabolism. You are, however, setting yourself up by starving during the day, then gobbling down desserts all night long.

Gail

fcl responded:
Walking is still an excellent way of getting exercise and it's free. It doesn't have to be strenuous. As you've noticed, when you try to restrict your food, your body objects and you end off craving things. The solution to that isn't a diet but rather (as Gail said) a program where you learn to eat properly again, such as Weightwatchers.

Please stop throwing your money away on gimmicks and gadgets (put it towards going to a public pool instead) because not only do they not work, they can also harm you.

Time to take things in hand ...

An_250567 replied to fcl's response:
What is the recommended treatment for your thyroid nodule? Do you take thyroid replacement? Do you check labs and adjust medicine three, four times a year? Our thyroid regulates metabolism, no doubt, and can indeed slow it. Additionally, metabolism slows slightly as we age. Beyond that, inactivity and consuming too many calories push the numbers on the scale up, up and up.

My suggestion for you is to see your doctor, check thyroid labs, vit D (which is typically low with hypothyroid), get a bone density (bone loss is accelerated with hypo), check cholesteral (can be high due to hypo), make sure you are heart healthy for an exercise program. Consider getting a prescription for a few sessions of physical therapy to learn exercises to perform to help your back issues. THEN, begin a program in earnest.

Your story is very similar to mine, always quite thin, weight gain of 40 pounds after age 40 despite eating right. Routine blood work revealed a thyroid problem. I assigned weight gain to that. After being on thyroid replacement for six months, I joined weight watchers. I realized that I was actually eating denser calorie foods than I thought. A few adjustments later and I have begun losing successfully and exercising.

I suggest you really examine your food choices and exercise choices. Chances are you are consuming several hundred calories too many per day given the age/stage you are in life. Rethink exercise too. While swimming is a great form of exercise, it isn't weight bearing at all so you'll do nothing to build bone. You'll need weights for that. Weights build muscle which in turn help you burn calories more efficiently. Come up with a well-rounded program.

Bottom line, you can't use age, thyroid or back pain as an excuse for not taking responsibility for weight issues. Get up, get moving. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.