Skip to content
Shorter Lighter Cycles Since Stopping BC
LadyAma posted:
I'm 30 years old and stopped taking birth control (Ortho Tricycle, not "lo") about 10 months ago; I was on that for 3 years. My cycle prior to BC was VERY regular or at least consistent — 6 to 7 days, cramping the first day, heavier bleeding the first 2 days and 30 day cycles. The 2nd month after stopping the birth control my cycle was about 28 days and the bleeding was relatively light; I had a 3 day period. As the months continued, my cycle became shorter, coming every 24-26 days and the bleeding even lighter, having 1 to 2 day periods. Now in my most recent cycle, I began cramping on day 21 with only noticeable traces of blood when I wipe after using the bathroom, but not period flow. On day 22, I had traces of blood in my underwear but very little. On day 23, I passed 3 small clots when urinating, but still not blood flow. I have had all of the normal symptoms that I see before my period comes: swelling of breasts (that's been very normal for me every cycle since I was 13), increased appetite the week before, etc, but there is no blood flow. Is my body not responding to stopping the birth control? Have my hormones not restored a normal balance? What could be going on? Thank you for any help.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
In rare cases, it can take up to a year for your body to regulate itself after going off birth control. You may be one of those people.

If you're concerned, you can call your doctor.

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.