Skip to content
Thick Endometrial lining??
pandafan79 posted:
I have been bleeding for about 4.5 months almost every day. I went in for an ultrasound and the nurse said that the endometrial lining was at 17.4 mm which was very thick considering that I have been bleeding. Now the Dr. has ordered a biopsy to rule out cancer. I am very nervous. What other causes could there be for these results. How painful is the biopsy. I have only had a pelvic exam done twice and it was very painful. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Anon_6061 responded:
That's a long time to bleed but at least your body is trying to thin out the lining. According to this link http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/21/6/1409.full, bleeding can be "caused by polyps, submucosal fibroids, endometrial hyperplasia, or endometrial adenocarcinoma."

It can be difficult to differentiate polyps on ultrasound so they can make the lining look thicker than it is. Not sure if this is true of fibroids or not.

As far as the biopsy, some women say they're quite painful but others say they feel like a pinch. I had one and don't recall it being particularly painful. Since previous pelvic exams have been painful, you may want to check with your doctor's office about taking some sort of pain med such as ibuprofen or naproxen prior to the biopsy. I would think this would be safe but it's best to check with your doctor.

If you have hyperplasia, it's generally treatable with medications. This link explains with table 2 showing regression rates by type - http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=3184.

Polyps can be removed (polypectomy) and so can fibroids (small ones via hysteroscopy and large ones via myomectomy). These preserve the uterus and it's (non-reproductive) hormonal and anatomical functions.

Tootsiepop44 responded:
just had uterine biopsy done to prepare for ablation surgery. was not prepared for the horrible pain while having procedure done. way more pain than just cramping! one word-torture!

kims121 responded:
I just had a uterine biopsy and it was not as bad as I had imagined. The procedure took about 5 or more minutes. There were about 4 episodes of more than moderate pain, but they lasted only a few seconds. I think it was when she was actually getting the uterine lining samples. There was moderate cramping afterwards, but 2 Aleve took care of that. I'm not going to say it was not painful, because it was, but only for a few seconds. I had no bleeding afterwards. I did deep breathing/relaxation and I think this helped me.

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.