Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possibly Pregnant - Jane help????
jk5493 posted:
I am on LoEstrin and have been for 3 months. Before this, I was on Microgestin for over a year. They are essentially the same as far as dosage goes - no worries there. I am a 20 year old female in college and am healthy outside of asthma and PCOS. Before this summer, I was not regularly sexually active; however, earlier this month, we had an 'accident' and assumed things were fine so we didn't pursue Plan B. But, I think I may be pregnant after all. I am not due for my period until Saturday (typically get it on the 2nd or 3rd placebo) and am wondering if it is normal to experience some form of period because of the discontinuation of the OCP for a week, even if pregnant? I haven't taken a pregnancy test yet because I feel as though it is too early.... right?

As of now, I'm having some breast tenderness/slight fullness feeling, headaches, a fair amount of cramping on one side (sometimes sharp, but constant nevertheless), and extreme exhaustion. It's all sort of like PMS, but I'm not one to really experience PMS symptoms (especially on OCPs). I know that if I am pregnant, it's really probably too early to show symptoms other than possibly fatigue and cramping - but just wondering if the birth control (even if pregnant) will still cause a period? If that is the case... I should just take a test anyhow to be sure, right? If I get a blood test now... is it possible to get an accurate result at this point in gestation (would only be 3-4 weeks)?
I'm hoping I am not pregnant as I am still in college and this is my first serious relationship ever and I don't want to jeopardize it... but, not much I can do about it at this point. Waiting is definitely the hardest thing ever! What would be the best thing(s) to do from here?

Thank you,

Jade

georgiagail responded:
If you're on oral contraceptive pills...and have been taking them accurately, what type of "accident" do you believe you had?

Even without a condom you are still protected against pregnancy.

Gail

fcl responded:
The pill is a highly effective form of contraception and is designed to be quite sufficient on its own. What kind of accident did you have? Did you forget several pills in a row?

Secondly, if you're far enough along to be experiencing pregnancy symptoms you're far enough along to test positive (because both are only positive AFTER a fertilized egg has implanted). Your symptoms are much more likely to be PMS - our cycles change and so do our symptoms - and your recent change of pill (same dosage but not the same pill) might be responsible for that change.

If you are pregnant, even if you are on the pill, you will miss your period.

newgirl2010 responded:
Yes, what do you mean by accident? I know there are women who are very paranoid about pregnancy that they use the pill regularly and a condom, when they don't use a condom--they feel there was an "accident." But if you were using the pill consistently, you are protected.

If you are on a "lo" estrogen pill it is possible to have a very light bleed...you may on occasion skip a period.

If you test with a sensitive pregnancy test such as First Response--Early Result, you should get an accurate result three weeks after the "accident" actually more like two weeks. Take the test with first morning's urine (as it is more concentrated). I would be surprised if your clinic would give you a blood pregnancy test. Typically that is done to measure pregnancy hormone levels in women who have an established pregnancy via urine test.

good luck...report back.

jk5493 replied to newgirl2010's response:
Hi ladies - thanks for your response.
I had missed 2-3 pills this month (we went on a mini-vacation and, it's never happened before, but I forgot them at home); rather, I took them later than I should've and, knowing this, we've been using additional protection. But, the condom broke and.... well... it was just perfect timing. I'm not paranoid and I'm not freaking myself out just yet because I'm still not due for my period for a few more days. But, I am preparing myself a little just in case. After all, my mom got pregnant with me while she was on birth control and I know many others that it's happened to. While OCPs are generally very effective little pills.... there is still that itty-bitty chance and I'm just hoping that I'm not the exception at this moment.

newgirl2010 replied to jk5493's response:
did you follow your pill's instruction booklet as to how to take those missed pills? For example, I am on ortho tricyclen lo and my pill pack says that if i miss two pills in a row, but make them up (they outline specifically how) that my contraception's effectiveness should not be compromised at all.

Chances are you are fine. And if it has been two-three weeks post accident a pregnancy test will be accurate.

I mention when you missed the pills because anytime the hormone free window is lengthened...greater chance of ovulation (right before or after your placebo week).

jk5493 replied to newgirl2010's response:
Thanks.
I am just going to wait for the weekend. If my period doesn't come.... I'll worry then. For now, trying not to stress because I don't want to cause my period not to come! That'd be horrible.

I may stop and get a pregnancy test just to ease my mind tomorrow...but, overall, just gonna try and wait it out.

Thanks for your input! I'll post back next week if anything turns out differently than expected!

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.