Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Increasing water consumption...Ideas Needed!
newgirl2010 posted:
I have been told for years "drink more water" for every complaint i have...dry skin, headache, constipation, etc. So, I decided to really challenge myself and try to get 8 cups of 8 ounces in a day. The problem is...I dislike water. Truly. So, I started to add crystal light in my water and found i could meet my quota! HOWEVER, I have found out that crystal light has citric acid in it which is apparently like brushing your teeth with battery acid. So, I am back to square one. Any ideas? I want a low calorie mix for my water that doesn't hurt my teeth. I have considered just adding stevia or another sweetener.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
How about Kool-Aid? I know they have some sugar but you don't necessarily have to use the whole single-serve packet.

fcl responded:
Try adding a slice of lemon, orange or grapefruit to your glass. Oh wait, they have natural citric acid too

Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about the citric acid in cristal light (I'd e much more worried about the artificial sweeteners) because it's what is used in many, many, many products to give their flavors a little tartness. The quantity in cristal light is far less than you'd find in a lemon, for instance.

fcl replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Kool-aid has citric acid too ...

Laura__0o responded:
How about tea? Since it is summer you can brew a few bags and make pitchers, it's refreshing and you get your h2o as well! To sweeten make simple syrup and gradually add it so you don't over due it on the calories.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.