Skip to content
My Birth Control Nightmare...
MQM1980 posted:
It seem like whatever medication I take and there are side effects, I will have them, including birth control of all methods. I was on the pill since I was a teen and had to go through a number of them before I found the right one. One give me a green hue (which was freaky), others made me sick all the time. After about the 4th try I found a match, however I don't remember the name of it. After having my daughter 7 years ago, I decided to try the IUD (cooper). It was the worst!!! I got my period every 3 weeks. It stayed on for 10 days. I bleed very heavy (a job to stay clean). I had cramps all the time. But because, I didn't want to get pregnant, I kept it in for 3 years. Finally, I took it out when I couldn't take it anymore. Next was the Nuvaring. That was too much work. After that, was the Marina. The first year I was in heaven. My period keep getting lighter and lighter until almost gone! YES! Wonderful, little to no cramps, no worries. But it took a turn for the worst. It took me another year to realize that the Marina was out to get me too! I started suffering from depression, crazy mood swings, crying spells, sleepiness, weight gain, and the worst BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). But I wasn't pregnant! Ha! My doctor said, "it's not the Marina". What do doctors know anyway? But I had gotten BV 5 times in one year. Once it was cleared, three days later it came back. I thought I was going insane. Oh and let's not forget my sex drive. I HAD NO SEX DRIVE! I know I didn't want to get pregnant, but I didn't want to become a nun in the process. My husband didn't understand what was going and neither did I. I just chalked it up to getting older (ummmmm...I'm only 33). I checked out some blogs and there it was, all over the internet. Other women were having the same issue with their Marina. Cases vary from case to case but the end result was the Marina was a nightmare. It has now been 4 months since I removed the Marina. I'm happy to say that I'm back to myself. No crying spells, a normal period (every 28 days, for 4 days), NO BV and the most important part, my sex drive is on FIRE!!! Just ask my husband ;o). So now I'm at the beginning again, I need a birth control (tying my tubs is not an option at the moment). So the only thing is left is back to the pill, but which one?

georgiagail responded:
Have you considered it's time for your husband to step up and play his role in providing the birth control? Condoms, when used accurately, are quite an effective method of birth control.

Gail

fcl responded:
Here's a link to an interactive quiz to help you find the BC option that is most suited to your needs. It includes questions about hormonal methods (because clearly hormones do not agree with you)

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/all-access/my-method-26542.htm

MQM1980 replied to georgiagail's response:
That is the funniest think I heard of in my life. If that was an option I wouldn't have this problem.

fcl replied to MQM1980's response:
You may not remember which pill it was that suited you but your doctor should have that information in her/his records. Maybe give them a ring?

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.