Skip to content
Very confused!
An_252938 posted:
Hello,

I recently had a blood test done to check for a hormonal imbalance, on day 27 of my cycle. I am late for my period, so I'm on day 37 now, but I have been very regular (like clockwork!) for the past six months after coming off the birth control pill (so my late period is probably a blip).

My results showed a high LH and a normal FSH (LH = 41.8 u/L, FSH = 6.4 u/L), and the doctor basically told me that I have PCOS! On my result documentation, it states that LH levels are higher during mid-cycle, 14 days before a period. I was on day 27, so I wasn't at my mid-point, but I guess I feel like I was now as I'm still waiting for my period! I also suspected a late ovulation this month as I experienced a few physical signs. Anyway, I'm getting a little worried, as I've done a lot of research (as I was not happy being sent away with such a poor consultation and little knowledge), and I keep coming across the day 3 rule (blood should be taken at day 3 of period to detect correct levels). Should I have had my test done at this point?

I'm also worried that my high lH levels are a result of coming off the pill (I was on it for three years, came off six months ago) - but again, the doctor didn't explain that this may be the cause. I need to schedule an ultra sound scan in a couple of weeks to determine whether or not I do have PCOS. I'm only 21 and very confused, as I haven't had my hormones tested before, and I'm not sure if it could be PCOS.

I have very regular periods (aside this odd blip), I am underweight and suffer from problems trying to gain weight, and my periods are nor light or heavy (they do drag out for 10 days at a time, though). I am not the usual suspect for PCOS, therefore I haven't given it a lot of thought and I'm not sure I'm convinced. The only reason I wanted a blood test is because I am suffering from bad acne (crept in during my last year on Yasmin, got worse when coming off it), and night sweats, which lead me to believe that I may be suffering from a hormonal issue.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as I have to wait for quite a while until I am back in my student home town to schedule a scan, which might not be for another few weeks!

Thanks.

Helpful Tips

Severe cramping and bleeding...any ideas?
I am almost 30yrs old. I just got off my period 10 days ago but two days aago, i began spotting a bright pink. last night i began bleeding ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.