Skip to content
Hysterectomy
Mama_Jo posted:
Good morning, I just signed up do I hope I'm doing this right. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have had a hysterectomy.
I am 33 and for the past year or so have been suffering with severe pelvic pain, bleeding that will sometimes last for up to
2 months, very large blood clots and on and off bleeding.
A couple of weeks ago, my pelvic cramping got so bad that I finally went to the doc, had an ultrasound and found a very small fibroid in my uterus. I did some family research and found that my mom and 2 of my aunts had emergency hysterectomys for these same problems but theirs was much worse.
Because of this and other things I have opted to have an abdominal hysterectomy. I thought I had figured out what I wanted (removal of just the upper party of the uterus) but now I am second guessing it. Can anybody help me with the pros and cons of preserving the uterus as opposed to having it removed as well?
Intercourse with my husband possess some Pain and discomfort in certain positions due to what I believe is him hitting my cervix. So I'm not sure if removing the cervix as well would help or make it worse. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Mama Jo

Anon_6061 responded:
I had a hysterectomy and wish I'd done things very differently. I would have hung onto my uterus. My body's changed for the worse (inside and out). The changes to my anatomy have caused back and hip pain and a big belly even though I'm underweight. And the displacement of my bowels has caused issues. My sex life has suffered too.

If the fibroids are causing the heavy bleeding and pain, why not have them removed and keep your uterus? A doctor who uses conservative treatments that preserve the sex organs would do a hysteroscopic resection if the fibroids are small or a myomectomy if they're large. Hysterectomy is the most overused surgery after c-section. 76% don't even meet ACOG criteria - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674580.

There are hormonal meds (birth control) and non-hormonal meds (NSAID's such as Aleve or Motrin in OTC or Rx strength or tranexamic acid Lysteda) for the bleeding and pain. Have you tried these more conservative options?

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
I had a hysterectomy and have never regretted this. No side effects whatsoever. However, I was 47 years old at the time. You are quite a bit younger.

Attached is an excellent article discussing the various treatment methods for uterine fibroids:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078

Gail

rhondamay responded:
I had a hysterectomy at your age and for the same reasons. I kept my ovarys but they took my cervix and uterus. I have no regrets and certainly don't miss the pain, cervix or my uterus. I started menopause at 51 and am now 58. The surgery had only positve effects on my sex life and well being.

Rhonda

Mama_Jo replied to Anon_6061's response:
I am so sorry that your experience was such a negative one. Unfortunately, hysterectomy is my only option as everything else has failed. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I will be making sure that all standards are met before the surgery takes place. Thank you again.

Mama_Jo replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for sharing Gail. I'm glad it all worked out.

Mama_Jo replied to rhondamay's response:
Hi Rhonda, thank you so much. I really needed to hear that. Knowing that you were my age when you had the surgery and now a couple of years later ;~) and still happy about your decision, I am feeling so much better about my choice. Thank you Rhonda.

tlkittycat1968 replied to Mama_Jo's response:
You're not much younger than my mom was when she had her hysterectomy. She's said it's the best thing she'd ever done regarding her health.

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.