Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do menstrual cycles reset after an unusual occurrence?
jc60304 posted:
I had the Mirena IUD placed June 2012 & never stopped having a monthly period; it stayed regular and just switched more to spotting.
On July 1st, I spotted a tiny bit, the went full on moderate/heavy period (bright red) on July 3rd (suddenly appeared during intercourse, not our best day lol). This was approximately 10 days before my period was due.
I thought my period would go away as it lightened up, until I gave up and removed the Mirena on the 13th. My period continued until the 18th (still light) and I put in a Nuva Ring on the 21st.
I'm a tad concerned as on the 3rd we did not use any other BC and it wasn't until after that we realized my IUD may not have been fully functional. I had a neg preg test on the 8th & 13th.
I'm experiencing all the lovely hormonal up, downs, and sideways slides that you can imagine and craving milk like nobody's business (a gallon down in 1.5 days after not drinking milk for years bc I'm slightly allergic. Scary because that is what I did when pregnant with my sons.)
When should I expect my period to return? At what point will it be considered late? Is my cycle supposed to reset itself after a 3 week period?

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.