Skip to content
Thickened Uterine Lining... problem or Perimenopause
Peanut892 posted:
Hi I am 51 year old and recently thought I completed menopause no periods for around a year then spotted with no problems, but the following month started with lower back pain, cramping & pain when bladder is full and I assumed I was going to have a period, but haven't had one for a few months now. History of fibroids & heavy periods, but dealt with it thinking it would get better when I was through menopause. Saw ob/gyn and they did sonogram and ovaries unremarkable, fibroids are not larger than last sonogram but uterus is 13 mm. Pap smear was fine, but he now wants to do a D&C and uterine biopsy. Had a biopsy as a precaution because of fibroids 4 or 5 years ago, is there a need to do another now? Will D&C reduce my uterine & stop pain? I also suffer from vertigo since I was very young & it always tended to get worse with periods, which ob/gyn is typical for vertigo patients. I asked if hormone therapy would help with thickened uterus and in turn help vertigo. Apprehensive about being put to sleep with vertigo being so bad, but maybe hormone imbalance could be causing some of it. I would welcome any information.

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry noone's replied. Since you were right around the one year mark when you had the spotting, you may not have been in menopause. Some women get close to that one year mark and then start having occasional periods again. And all these missed periods can certainly build up the lining. And even post-menopause (especially early post), some women have bleeding that ends up being nothing serious. However, any post-meno bleeding needs to be investigated.

Are you saying he wants to biopsy the tissue from the D&C versus doing an in-office endometrial biopsy via hysteroscope? Granted a D&C in this case would be for both diagnostic and treatment purposes. But you're right in that medication can be used versus a D&C to thin the lining. Here's a link about that - http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=3184.

Peanut892 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you so much for the reply. He classified me as perimenopause. I assume that my body prepared for period that never occurred and that is what is now causing the terrible cramping & lower back pain. He didn't indicate his intentions on the D&C and I was even more confused after speaking to his nurse. If I understood her correctly he cleans the cervix to access the uterus, didn't sound like full D&C. He told me would only take 5 minutes, again doesn't sound like full D&C. He typically doesn't like to do a uterine biopsy in the office. My old ob/gyn did a biopsy in the office, was painful, but survived. Asked for blood work for hormones, but didn't order it, which confused me. Would like to know where I am with menopause. With vertigo so back right now, was hoping for alternative to being put to sleep for just a biopsy that isn't going to stop pain and then find that he wants to do surgery to remove uterus. Think I need a follow up to discuss issues. Your reply & referenced article were very informative. Would consider D&C, but wondering if it will simply return in a couple months because I am not full menopause & simply missing periods which will only build it up again.

Anon_6061 replied to Peanut892's response:
So they are giving you general anesthesia for a uterine biopsy? I didn't think they gave a general for that. But maybe this is done when the cervix is stenotic. Sometimes medication taken beforehand can open it up. Did your gyn explain the reasoning?

If you have a stenotic cervix, that may explain some of the pain as well as the feelings that your period is coming but doesn't and the feelings of fullness (as well as the thick lining). The reason is that the stenosis can keep the blood from being able to escape.

Hormone tests aren't very reliable during perimenopause because FSH and estrogen levels can fluctuate wildly.

Birth control pills are oftentimes Rx'd during perimenopause to regulate the cycle and thin out the lining. This can oftentimes avoid surgical intervention such as ablation or hysterectomy. And with meds, you can always stop taking them if you don't like the side effects. But with procedures, you're stuck with the good and the bad.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope it turns out well. Let us know.

Thank you for your reply, it appears he is planning to do a D&C and biopsy, which is why he prefers to do it with anesthesia. I asked about a stenotic cervix, but he said I did not have that. He said just what you indicated about hormone levels fluctuating and feels specimens collected during D&C are more accurate. The funny thing is that the cramps & low back pain are always there but seem to get worse at roughly the interval of a normal cycle, which is strange.

I did ask about the bad low back pain because it is pretty bad and he thinks fibroids could be causing some of the pain. Not sure if this problems causes a lot of pain in the low back, but hope this procedure helps. Hope this is not a temporary fix which builds up again.

The anesthesia makes sense then. Fibroids can cause some back pain. If he finds they're easy enough to remove, maybe he'll do that at the same time.

Thanks for the reply Anon. I noticed on another blog on this site that someone indicated that a thickened uterus doesn't cause pain, so I wanted to ask you if you know whether on not that is true? I have a lot of cramping, low back pain, & uncomfortable when bladder is full and wondering if I should be worried. Of course I do have fibroids also, so maybe the combination is causing it, but just curious.

I wouldn't think a thickened lining, per se, would cause pain. However, polyps can sometimes be difficult to differentiate from a thickened lining on u/s and polyps can cause pain (as well as abnormal bleeding). If your doctor finds polyps while doing the D&C, they're easily removed. And, yes, fibroids depending on size and location can cause pain and bleeding.

Thanks for all the information Anon. Doctor mentioned polyps, but you seems to explain it a bit better for me. Will let all know how it goes.

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.