Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
STD or skin issue? (please help!)
An_252971 posted:
Hi all,

I'm 20 years old and have never seen a gyno, which is a problem in itself, and one that I will be fixing when I return to school in a few weeks.

However, I would like to ask a few questions here to help me decide whether I need to get an STD panel at a clinic in the immediate future.

Yesterday, I noticed a small colorless "bump" (it's more of a slightly raised section of skin) between my anus and my vaginal opening. The general area itches a little bit, but it's not uncommon for me to get irritation there after having a lot of sex, and it doesn't seem like the bump itself is bothering me. (I just returned from a vacation with my partner.) If I pull on the area, the bump appears to turn white, but otherwise blends in with the rest of my skin.

I've had four partners in three and a half years; I have had unprotected sex with two people, one 18 months ago who insisted he was clean, and my current boyfriend of 9 months (who was tested about a month after we started having sex and came back clean). Neither of us has ever had a herpes "outbreak," but I know it doesn't always present itself dramatically. I don't trust my first unprotected partner to inform me if he were to come back with a positive test result of any kind.

I've gotten cold sores on my mouth since I was a child, and am currently menstruating. I thought I felt a smaller bump on "the other side" — the one I initially wrote about is towards the left — but couldn't see the "right" one in a mirror.

What's the likelihood that this is a skin irregularity or irritation versus an STD? Do I need to get tested immediately, or should I wait it out?

Please help. This is terrifying for me.

Thanks.

georgiagail responded:
What's the likelihood this is a skin irregularity or irritation versus an STD?

Since you have engaged in unprotected sexual contact, this would all depend on the STD status of these two people.

You indicate that your current boyfriend was "tested". Tested for what? Every possible STD out there or just the more common ones?

Gail

olncok replied to georgiagail's response:
I think my current boyfriend got a regular STD panel, so like HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. As I stated, he has never had a genital herpes outbreak, but both of us do get cold sores.

The first person I was with also claimed to have been 'tested,' but I made the mistake of not asking him which tests were administered. However, he did not have any visible warts, sores, or abnormalities in the time we were together.

Thanks for your response. It looks like I should just get tested and end this period of speculation.

Olivia

georgiagail replied to olncok's response:
It is not unusual that HSV (i.e., testing for the herpes virus) is skipped during routine STD/STI testing.

Gail

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.