Skip to content
Thickened uterine lining, heavy bleeding for almost 1 year
mrsweaver0525 posted:
I have had constant, heavy bleeding for 11 months now. I was told by my OB/GYN that last August I had a miscarriage. Since that time I bleed almost every day. After a month of bleeding I saw my dr again. He did an ultrasound and said my lining was over twice as thick as it should be. He offered to put me on medication to stop the bleeding but could not tell me why I was bleeding. I bleed so heavily I almost faint when I get up from the toilet. The blood comes out in thick, large clot looking things. I have had them come out almost as big as my hand and several centimeters thick. I called my dr once more after the bleeding continued for several months, again he offered to put me on meds to stop the bleeding, but offered no reason as to why it would occur. I have now continued to deal with the bleeding and have set an appointment with a new dr. If I do stop bleeding for a day or two, as soon as my husband and I try to be intimate I start bleeding again, before we can have intercourse. I mean within a few minutes of kissing I am bleeding. I am scared because my great grandmother on my moms side had a radical double mastectomy in her forties, my grandmother and mom had full hysterectomy's in their late thirties/early forties and my mom and sister have both had endemetreoisis and PCOS. I had an almost 20 pound begnin tumor removed when I was 20, almost 21. I am currently 26. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 2 years now. We have had several miscarriages. He has been tested and has a higher than normal sperm count. Any advice or thoughts before I go in to my new dr would be appreciated.

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry for all your troubles! Have you had a FULL workup to check for bleeding or clotting disorders (one of the most common ones being von Willebrand)? They can also cause miscarriages. An endocrine disorder (such as thyroid or pituitary) can also cause these problems. There's a lot of info out there on reputable websites such as the .gov sites.

Your primary care doctor may be better to work with in determining the underlying cause. It may not be gynecological at all.

In the meantime, it would seem that you'd want to take something to reduce the bleeding such as (hormonal) birth control or (non-hormonal) Rx tranexamic acid Lysteda or an OTC or Rx NSAID. And you're likely low in iron (probably anemic) in which case I woudl hope your gynecologist recommended you take iron supplements.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out.

mrsweaver0525 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Yes my dr did a full blood work up last fall. I don't want to take meds to stop the bleeding til I now the cause. The blood panel reaulta from last year showed I was not anemic, haf no clotting disorders and my white cell coint was normal. My thyroid gets checked every year by my primart care and it has never been an issue I appreciate the ideas though. I do plan on posting ehat the new dr thinks.

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.