Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Endometrial Ablation with no kids
MichelleJonesers04 posted:
To start, I am 26 years old, have no desire for kids and I have not had any kids. I would like a non-hormonal option to getting rid of my period. Without going into too much detail, I basically ask God to strike me dead every month due to the bleeding and pain. I have tried birth control methods and had a slew of negative side effects and I will not go through that again.

So, I researched and found NovaSure, HerOption and ThermaChoice - all endometrial ablation techniques. I think I will find them to, at the very least, lessen the misery - and at the most, stop it altogether. I am going to meet with a gynecologist to learn more or even find out about another non-hormonal option if she can think of one. I am just worried she will play the age and previous pregnancy status card due to the permanent sterilization attached the procedure (which is recommended since becoming pregnant after this is dangerous). I figure if I'm old enough to have sex and abort babies I don't want, I'm old enough to have sex and simple not conceive babies I don't want. So - ladies: has anyone ever had an endometrial ablation procedure (or another non-hormonal menstrual bleeding/side effects procedure) done without having any kids? If so, what was it? How old were you? What was your outcome (no period, light period, side effects)?

I am not really looking for a hysterectomy, as that has a slew of common *negative* side effects that I would rather not experience. However, if you had that instead and loved it, please comment!

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry for your troubles. Have you had a battery of tests to determine the cause of the bleeding and pain - structural, hormonal, or even endocrine? I assume you've been checked for polyps which can cause pain and heavy bleeding (and are easily removed)?

I didn't have an ablation but did have a hysterectomy and can vouch for the "slew" of problems. It haunts me daily even though I'd already had my children and was just shy of natural menopause.

Ablation can sound great when you're suffering so much but the results don't always last and can even cause long-term debilitating problems. Our sex organs work together and any procedure that disrupts their normal functioning can cause permanent problems. After ablation, the uterine lining continues to try to build based on the hormonal actions of the ovaries. Between the scarred lining and a cervix that can become stenotic, the blood has nowhere to go and can cause debilitating, chronic pelvic pain.

The younger a woman is at the time of ablation, the more likely she'll develop problems that lead to hysterectomy. This risk is 40% for women who have ablation before age 40.

http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Fulltext/2008/12000/Previous_Tubal_Ligation_Is_a_Risk_Factor_for.6.aspx
"Probability of hysterectomy 8 years after endometrial ablation was 12% for women aged older than 50 years at time of endometrial ablation, 19.8% for women aged 45—49.9 years, 31% for women aged 40—44.9 years, and 40.6% for women aged younger than 40 years."

This WebMD discussion includes a lot of women's experiences after ablation, some short-term and some long-term - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/12649/194#194 .

Yes, this is your decision. But as a consumer, you're the one who has to live with the good and the bad so be sure you're getting accurate information. Read the medical studies and see what other women are saying on various forums versus reading those brochures that are selling the procedure.

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry for your troubles. Have you had a battery of tests to determine the cause of the bleeding and pain - structural, hormonal, endocrine, or even a clotting disorder? I assume you've been checked for polyps which can cause pain and heavy bleeding (and are easily removed)?

I didn't have an ablation but did have a hysterectomy and can vouch for the "slew" of problems. It haunts me daily even though I'd already had my children and was just shy of natural menopause.

Ablation can sound great when you're suffering so much but the results don't always last and can even cause long-term debilitating problems. Our sex organs work together and any procedure that disrupts their normal functioning can cause permanent problems. After ablation, the uterine lining continues to try to build based on the hormonal actions of the ovaries. Between the scarred lining and a cervix that can become stenotic, the blood has nowhere to go and can cause debilitating, chronic pelvic pain.

The younger a woman is at the time of ablation, the more likely she'll develop problems that lead to hysterectomy. This risk is 40% for women who have ablation before age 40.

http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Fulltext/2008/12000/Previous_Tubal_Ligation_Is_a_Risk_Factor_for.6.aspx
"Probability of hysterectomy 8 years after endometrial ablation was 12% for women aged older than 50 years at time of endometrial ablation, 19.8% for women aged 45—49.9 years, 31% for women aged 40—44.9 years, and 40.6% for women aged younger than 40 years."

This WebMD discussion includes a lot of women's experiences after ablation, some short-term and some long-term - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/12649/194#194 .

Yes, this is your decision. But as a consumer, you're the one who has to live with the good and the bad so be sure you're getting accurate information. Read the medical studies and see what other women are saying on various forums versus reading those brochures that are selling the procedure. Whatever you decide, hope it goes well.

An_253125 responded:
You may want to look in to Dr.Neal Barnards book Foods that Fight Pain. I had an ablation at 37 and the pain and periods after a very short time were coming back heavier and heavier each month and I've had horrible long periods my whole life. Based on his book I cut out meat and dairy and my periods are just a blink of an eye and NO PAIN!!! Arthritis and insomnia that I have delt with most of my adult life are now almost gone also...
It's worth a try...within the 1st month of cuting that out of my diet I had no cramps...if I fall off the wagon and have much meat or dairy (ie. the vacation I was just on...) then they will start to come back...
Good luck to you!

MichelleJonesers04 replied to An_253125's response:
Thank you for your response. I will definitely check out this book!

MichelleJonesers04 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for your response.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.