Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post menopausal thickened uterine lining/no other symptoms
An_253111 posted:
Hello,

An ultrasound looking for a hernia discovered that my uterine lining is 11. An endometrial biopsy was performed and showed no cancer cells. My gyno wants me to get a D&C just to be sure. I have no pain in that area, no bleeding. I began menopause around the age of 50 and am now 55. I am 5'4" and 175 lbs. Until recently I was taking supplements that mimic estrogen (saw palmetto) and read that this could cause the lining to thicken. So my question is, since I have stopped taking these supplements, could the lining get thinner without having to do a D&C. My finances are not great. Also no hernia was discovered.

georgiagail responded:
There's been no research regarding this but if you're not having symptoms and no cancer cells were found, you might wish to reconsider the D&C and simply stop taking the Saw Palmetto.

Gail

Debbie500 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you for responding Georgiagail. I am hoping that will be the majority of responses I get. I am not looking forward to an invasive procedure, since they will put me under anethesia and the hospital costs are high. I am wondering if I could just have another ultrasound after a reasonable length of time to see if the lining has thinned. However, I haven't seen any research that tells how long that might take if the thickening is indeed due to the Saw Palmetto. I did stop taking it one month ago today.

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.