Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Im freaking out
RachaelC930 posted:
I need some advice. I found out I had precancerous cells caused from HPV in 2011 when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was very scared then but felt better after deciding to get a "LEEP" after I gave birth I did this. Everything was going well after my first checkup came back clear I was so happy it worked! then I went in for my second pap and there were abnormal cells again! I got my second LEEP in January and just found out today I have abnormal cells again. Im very scared and quite sad at this point. Has anyone else had this happen?

georgiagail responded:
Yes. Sometimes the procedure just does not remove all of the offending cells and they return.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
What level of dysplasia did the biopsies show before the LEEP's and now? Mild dysplasia oftentimes reverts to normal on its own. And many HPV infections go away on their own too. HPV types 16 and 18 cause 70% of cervical cancers. Here are some links that may be helpful -
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/understandingcervicalchanges/page11

hotmommy responded:
I have had 2 LEEP's done as well, You didn't mention your age or what the pap results showed. This info may help with answers.

dss1951 responded:
I am 61 yrs old and have had two LEEPs, with a normal pap in between the two. The last one was 2006, no issues since then. So probably nothing to worry about as long as you and your doc are keeping an eye on things.

amygrump responded:
Im sorry to hear this.I've had 2 leeps and good pap results since the second one over a decade ago. I still worry though. While its obviously important to get rid of the bad cells on your cervix, you should be aware of the risks of having leeps on your child bearing ability. Studies now show a correlation to fertility troubles due to decrease in cervical mucous due to the procedure. Also, your cervix may become incompetent so that you cannot carry to term. I had both of these issues. If you are aware of their potential you can address it if you decide to have another child. As far as your recurrence, i agree with the other poster that they may not be getting all the affected cells. Also consider whether your partner could have hpv and be reinfecting you. Best of luck to you.

tootsypop35 responded:
I am 39 yrs. old with 5 kids. I have my tubes tied. I just had my first LEEP procedure two weeks ago. I have to go back for another pap in 6 months. I did not realize till reading these comments that I could get this again and again. I have been bleeding for a week straight like I have my period. I didn't have it right after the surgery but two weeks after. I had sex against my Dr.'s advice so I don't know if that is where the bleeding is coming from or not. but my stitches have not fallen out yet.

georgiagail replied to tootsypop35's response:
It would REALLY be a good idea to contact your physicians office regarding this bleeding you are experiencing.

Gail

DMaca responded:
I had abnormal PAP results and precancerous cells for years after my kids were born in the 1980's. I've had cryosurgery many times and at least 2 LEEP procedures for the HPV I got when I was younger. In 2004 I had a PAP in August and started to have bleeding after intercourse and while cleaning myself in 2005, yet my OBGYN kept telling me that my PAP had been normal. To sum this up, I am now a stage 4 metastatic cervical cancer patient. I would like to caution anyone with repeated bad PAP results to stay on top of things. Bleeding is major flag for cervical cancer and I should have insisted that my PAP be repeated in 2004 because by the time we repeated it April 2005, it was too late. Be cautious and vigilant and listen to your body!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.